PDA

View Full Version : Powder for 9mm and .327 Magnum

burrkiss
03-16-2014, 12:38 AM
I have been wandering the site for months now while learning the skill of reloading and the art of casting. I must say the learning curve is unlike any I have ever had before! I gone through the forum picking information out and pasting it into my document. I use the information 5 times more often than commercial books I have. Brownnosing done.[smilie=1:

I have loaded cast 9mm 125 gn rn with full function test in my wife's XD. Quite proud of that. I put it all together and created the boolit and it cycled perfectly.

I am working on my .45 ACP XD currently and have learned that 200 gn flat nose doesnt cycle for diddly. Recast 2k boolits.......
I just found out that the 700x (it was all Scheels had) is total garbage for my LM press and doesnt meter well at all.

My .327 magnum is next on the list.

I know there is no "1" magic booboo powder to do them all, but I would be happy with two. I only plink, so super accuracy is not on my list. I know there is a severe powder shortage (WHICH I BLAME YOU ALL!!:kidding:), but need some advice from true experts.

dragon813gt
03-16-2014, 08:51 AM
You have a magnum listed and thats a separate class of powder to achieve full potential. If you're looking for one powder for all three that's going to be a compromise. W231/HP-38 and Universal will do the duty in all handguns. If you want full magnum loads you want a magnum powder like H110/W296. I see loads for Lil'Gun listed as well. They aren't as fast as H110, only slightly. And the pressure is a lot less. You need a magnum powder to achieve magnum performance in the 327.

As far as one magic powder. You will have a lot of people say Unique. I prefer Universal. It meters like water and burns cleaner. Unique works in everything but excels in very few.

burrkiss
03-16-2014, 11:31 AM
I got the information I asked for, thanks. Now I have another issue. Where in the 7 levels of hell can I find ANY of those. I just spent 2 hrs trying to find any of those powders on Cabela, Midway, Brownells, Gunbroker, Gunbot, Wikiarms and the sponsors here. I came up with exactly jack.

seaboltm
03-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Unique. Blue Dot would probably work fine in both too and would allow you to squeeze a bit more out velocity out of the 327.

shooting on a shoestring
03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Yep you aren't going to get full potential out of a .327 with a powder that will also work in a semi-auto case. However, Herco will do decently well in the magnum and rock in the semi-autos.

Larry Gibson
03-16-2014, 05:38 PM
If all your doing is "plinking" then Bullseye will fit the bill perfectly for all 3 cartridges.

Larry Gibson

Green Frog
03-17-2014, 12:27 PM
I've been getting good results in 327 FM from Accurate #7 as well as a batch of old surplus powder that duplicates Accurate #9. I'm using a 125 gr SWC from the NOE 314008 mould with COWWs plus a little tin. The Accurate website doesn't list a mould for a bullet this heavy, so I took the minimum load for the 115 bullet and dropped it another tenth or so and it worked fine. Be aware, though that I am using a Custom K-frame S&W and a Ruger Blackhawk... not one of the smaller framed guns.

Froggie

Love Life
03-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Try the AA powders. I have been having a ball with them lately and will soon be loading AA#7 in 45 ACP+P loads.

MT Gianni
03-17-2014, 03:16 PM
I got the information I asked for, thanks. Now I have another issue. Where in the 7 levels of hell can I find ANY of those. I just spent 2 hrs trying to find any of those powders on Cabela, Midway, Brownells, Gunbroker, Gunbot, Wikiarms and the sponsors here. I came up with exactly jack.

Powder Valley, Graf and Sons and Mid-South shooter supply all come to mind.

dragon813gt
03-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Powder Valley, Graf and Sons and Mid-South shooter supply all come to mind.

They have them from time to time. I think the OP was looking for them immediately. You can't be picky right now unless you stocked up in advance :beer:

trapper9260
03-17-2014, 04:08 PM
I use Bulleyes for 327 and works good,I use Unique in 9mm.

wrongway
03-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't know where you live if you live here in Nebr. try Guns Unlimited
I always used 2400 powder

rststeve
03-17-2014, 10:04 PM
I shoot the 311008 and saeco 325 for plinkers for ground squirrel work I like 311316 all with 2400 good luck

robertbank
03-18-2014, 10:04 AM
For the 9MM 231/HP38 (the same powder), is my go to choice. HS6 and I am told Universal works well in the 9MM as well.

As to powders, well I suggest you go to Hogdon's website and search 9MM, 125 gr and look at the list of powders that come up. Now for the tricky part. Find a supply of any of them IF YOU CAN. Right now I doubt there is 4lbs of 231 to be found anywhere in Canada. The US situation might be a little better but from what I read here, it isn't much better. A friend and I just scored 8 bs of PB, a powder that can be used in 9MM and 39spl, two cartridges we load a lot of for IPSC/IDPA. We have never used them but beggers can't be choosers. As for primers the situation is only marginally better. Our IDPA group just bought 17K Dominion SPP (Tula) on sale. Why? Because we couldn't find Win/Federal anywhere at a decent price. That it what we are dealing with up here and from what I can tell it is no better in the US.

Welcome to the forum and bullet casting. You are starting out in very difficult times. Won't be for ever but powder shortages may be here for awhile from what I have been told.

Take Care

Bob
22lr is now being sold $36/500 in bulk by a local store - It is darn near cheaper to shoot center fire, if you can find powder!

Dark Helmet
03-21-2014, 12:42 AM
See any Power Pistol/Bullseye 86 local to you?

burrkiss
03-21-2014, 01:54 AM
None. Sad. I cant find ANY pistol powder even online. I have 2 lbs of AA9 and 2lbs of 700x (bad meetering not what i want to use) Thats it. It will be gone very fast.

Dark Helmet
03-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Any Ramshot brand? Enforcer for the 327 and True Blue for the rest?
Accurate 4100 for the magnum and AA5 for the rest?