PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 1911...should I even ask...?

oldfart1956
03-15-2014, 11:09 PM
O.K., so I need another 1911 like a hole in the head but get this...new blued Taurus 1911's for $399. Going on sale at the end of the month. I know...I know....but seriously how bad can you botch up a 1911 for that price? So I googled "problems with Taurus 1911's" and got a smattering of results but almost every one from 2008 to 2010. After that the problems generally seem to diminish. The #1 problem was the extractors on the early models. Converting to series 70 was one solution as was some aftermarket series 80 extractors. Also a few problems with early magazines. Oddly enough...my Remington R1 magazines are clearly stamped "PT1911 made in Brazil" right on the edge. Go figger? So here's the question. If you have/had a Taurus 1911, blued version, made/purchased since 2011 what issues have you had and how was it resolved? I'm not interested in any experiences with any other models of Taurus' guns. Please. Lets not turn this into a Taurus debate/bash. Just the late version of the blued 1911. (2011 to present) I know they use some MIM parts...don't care....unless it is a source of common problems. Virtually every other manufacturer out there....in this price range...is using some MIM parts. So lets see whos' reading comprehension is up to snuff. Audie...the ponderin' Oldfart..

rockrat
03-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Can't comment on the blued as I have a stainless in 9mm. About 1k rounds thru it, no problems. mags were *** though

dmize
03-15-2014, 11:20 PM
If you had not been so specific about "blued" I could help.

tek4260
03-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Taurus has made copies of tons of guns over the years, and has screwed every one of them up and turned out a turd. What makes you think they could get a 1911 right?

JSnover
03-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Even if it has a handful of issues, for that price it might make a good project gun.

jonp
03-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Where are they on sale for that price? Rock Island, Tisas and a couple of others are at that price point.

tazman
03-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Not everyone on here hates Taurus. I own 3 of them, 2 revolvers and a pt92. Mine are doing exceedingly well for me. I haven't handled a 1911 but it sounds interesting so I will follow this thread.

seaboltm
03-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Taurus has made copies of tons of guns over the years, and has screwed every one of them up and turned out a turd. What makes you think they could get a 1911 right?

I disagree. I don't currently own a Taurus, but I have owned several. All of mine worked fine. Now I did have a friend that had a NIB Taurus that wouldn't fire and he returned it to the gun shop. But guess what? I had a NIB Colt King Cobra years ago that would not consistently ignite primers, regardless of brand, factory or reloads. I took it back and got another one. Same problem. I took it back and got a GP100. No problems. In fact the ONLY brand of revolver I have ever owned that had NO problems is a Ruger.

HeavyMetal
03-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Shooting times did a 45 auto review last month and the Tuarus was one of like 15 tested, it did have a problem with, I think, the back sight coming off.

It tested well until that and they did not repair it, something about field repairs only, but I thought it did well for both the price and the short sighted handling of a small problem.

For a sale price 0f $399 I'd buy two!

osteodoc08
03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
My brother had one. It worked as designed until he sold it to move on to something else.

lonewelder
03-16-2014, 05:55 PM
My little brother has one and has been happy with it,no problems.the only thing I have heard is regular colt or mil spec parts will not drop in.just something to look in too.that is a very good price but,I would check out rock island.dad got a compact(like an officers mdl) I shot it and was veryyyy impresed .the best fit and trigger i have found on a new 400$ 1911 in a good while.I'm not sure the frame and slides don't come from the same place in brazil.

MtGun44
03-16-2014, 07:12 PM
I rebuilt one for a friend a few years ago. Frame, slide, barrel, bushing, link, slide stop and grip
safety were fine. Kept the mainspring housing, mag catch,spring, firing pin and stop, too. Many
internals were marginal, to odd redesigns, to junk. New sear, hammer, extractor, disconnector,
trigger and thumb safety made it work fine. Only a good deal because I fitted all the parts
for free and he bought the gun (not working) for $200. Not recommended unless you get it
real cheap and can work on them yourself or have a friend that can.

Bill

enfieldphile
03-16-2014, 07:38 PM
I managed to buy the very first PT1911 to arrive in Lubbock Texas. @ the LGS, the things that impressed me and caused me to buy: Good frame-to-slide fit, Very good, crisp trigger, slide ramp polished to mirror finish (could see my ugly face in the ramp).

The blueing was not the best, though the metal finish was fine. I forgave the blueing.

The only rounds to ever go through it have been my handloads w/ cast boolits. Lee 230TC, Lee copy of H&G 68, Lee 230 RN.

Every round has gone through w/o trouble. Lots off ammo (no, I don't round count). Retrieved brass is fine too.

oldfart1956
03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Guys thanks for the response. Actually....this went better than expected. The reason for the narrow focus (blued only) is because it's what's going on sale that piqued my interest. I don't own any Tuarus's (reads funny...Tauri?) and I'm not concerned with any other model. I was hoping it would be up to spec and am concerned how far off it might be. I understand all parts (generally) need some fitting but the only item I've encountered so far is the extractor as mentioned. And that may have been corrected since the 2010 models. For the price it might make a good one to fiddle with, loan out or just to keep in the garage. Maybe try some different barrels in odd calibers? I was concerned about frame/slide cracks and any other major problems as such. Mags and sights are really a minor issue. I suspect the frames&slides are made in the Philipines as are (dare I say) most of them. I can't buy a 1911 with these modifications (upgrades?) from any manufacturer at this price. I doubt I could buy a G.I. model for this price. Of course they could charge me $100 for the transfer and gammahooch the deal...who knows? And No....I can't tell you guys who has them on sale 'cause you'll all go to Grices Gun Shop web page and see it and buy them all up before I get there. My lips are sealed! Audie...the Oldfart.

oldfart1956
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
GAAAHH! How do I edit a post???? Audie...

MtGun44
03-17-2014, 02:26 AM
I seriously doubt that the slides and frames are made anywhere but in Brazil in
the Taurus factory. Good luck, hope it works for you.

Bill

MtGun44
03-17-2014, 02:28 AM
VERY complex. You click on the little "Edit Post" words with the pencil at the bottom
of the post you wish to edit.

Bill

Moonie
03-17-2014, 03:59 PM
I have had several 1911's, a Springfield, a Kimber and now a Taurus PT1911, it goes bang exactly the same as the others, feeds better than the Springfield did until it broke in. The Taurus is flawless and I trust my life with it. I did have issues with the factory sights shooting low left, changed them out and it puts them exactly to point of aim, I like the tru-glo on it. Enjoy it, do remember the internal small parts are MIM, not been a problem with mine but if they wear out I will replace them with better.

tomme boy
03-17-2014, 05:09 PM
I have had a few Taurus handguns. 4 as a matter of fact. Every single one has been sent back to have repairs. I will not be buying anymore. The worst one was a Md66 in 357 mag. Looking down the barrel half of the rifling was not there. It was on one side of the barrel but not the other. All the way down the barrel. The timing was also off. And the rear sight fell off. The screw to adjust the elevation sheared off. The cylinder popped open a couple of times also after it was back from the factory. I sent this one back and got rid of it when it was returned.

oldfart1956
03-17-2014, 09:16 PM
VERY complex. You click on the little "Edit Post" words with the pencil at the bottom
of the post you wish to edit.

Bill Bill it was a poor attempt at humor as I posted the location of the sale at the bottom of the post. :) Grices Gun Shop webpage....click on the Anniversary Sale flyer...the 1911 is on at least 2 pages there. As much as I loathe dealing with them...I am considering this. Audie...the Oldfart..

MtGun44
03-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Gotta put a :kidding: on there - some folks are just not too whippy on computer stuff and
I try not to be rude when smacking my head with my palm. :bigsmyl2:

Bill