PDA

View Full Version : Range lead ?

Boaz
03-15-2014, 08:50 PM
You know I bought some range lead . Should you mix WW lead with it to improve the hardness ? I know it's impossable to give a definte reply but me having no way to test it looks like at least mixing a harder alloy would help and couldn't hurt ? Thanks

NewbieDave007
03-16-2014, 02:50 AM
I'm not an expert but it would depend on your use for the alloy.

mikeym1a
03-16-2014, 04:48 AM
WW's have minimal antimony in it as is. What I have read here is that you should get some 'Magnum Shot', which had antimony in it. I have no idea how much, but other than getting some 'SuperHard' from RotoMetals, (70%lead,30%antimony), that might be the easiest way to get the hardness level up, and you would need to add a bit of tin to help with fill-out. I know I've seen the Magnum shot discussed here before, you might try and search for it. I never seem to ask for the right stuff when I use it, I seem to find everything but what I'm searching for. It's all very interesting, but not what I wanted. mikey

roberts1
03-16-2014, 09:49 AM
For the calbers i load 357 and 45 colt i just use the range scrap as is. Poor fitment will be more problematic than hardness in most situations.

Gunslinger1911
03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
I also have used range lead as is with out problems up to 1000 ish fps. 45ACP etc.

I have taken to adding about 1% antimony using Superhard just so I can use the same mix for everything - 10mm, 454, 500 S&W.

btroj
03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
I use straight range scrap all the time for handgun bullets. If I need them a bit harder, 357 mag for example, then I water drop them.

Try what you have as is. If it leads or gives poor results otherwise the adjust as needed.

Boaz
03-16-2014, 10:38 AM
I thank you for your comments . The super hard and quenching were the first things I thought of and I will try without either before I start adding to or quenching . At the present time all my casting will be for pistol .
What do you think a good starting point would be for adding Superhard if needed ? I realize there is no perfect recomendation without testing but having never used it myself your experience would be valued .

btroj
03-16-2014, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't add super hard until your guns decide it is needed.

If you do add then go with maybe 10 to 20 percent super hard to range scrap.

Water dropping can get most range scrap to 15 BHn easily, not much more is needed for most handgun shooting.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-16-2014, 11:41 AM
My range lead will water quench to 15-16 bhn easily, and will go to 22-24
with about 25% coww and then heat treated.

Jayhawkhuntclub
03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Range lead hardness can vary wildly. Is it jacketed bullets? Cast? Both? If both, what is the ratio. If it's primarily cast, then it'll be plenty hard already. Jacketed, tend to be closer to pure lead.

AndyC
03-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Might need to add some tin (eg. tin solder, etc) to the mix to get proper mold fill-out; most of the range-lead I've recovered needed that.

Larry Gibson
03-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Range lead hardness can vary wildly. Is it jacketed bullets? Cast? Both? If both, what is the ratio. If it's primarily cast, then it'll be plenty hard already. Jacketed, tend to be closer to pure lead.

Concur with Jayhawkhuntclub.

The range lead (350 -400 lbs) I have comes from 2 indoor ranges and an outdoor range. All are a mix of hard cast, jacketed of all types and some .22lR. All three batches already have plenty of antimony in them and not enough tin. I found that adding 1 lb of lead to 3 lbs of RL drops the antimony % to a workable level. Then adding 2% tin balances out with the tin in the RL and makes an excellent alloy That casts bullets very well. The BHN runs about 12 and if WQ's the bullets run 18 BHN or so.

Larry Gibson

tazman
03-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Concur with Jayhawkhuntclub.

The range lead (350 -400 lbs) I have comes from 2 indoor ranges and an outdoor range. All are a mix of hard cast, jacketed of all types and some .22lR. All three batches already have plenty of antimony in them and not enough tin. I found that adding 1 lb of lead to 3 lbs of RL drops the antimony % to a workable level. Then adding 2% tin balances out with the tin in the RL and makes an excellent alloy That casts bullets very well. The BHN runs about 12 and if WQ's the bullets run 18 BHN or so.

Larry Gibson

I have no idea about the antimony content, but I have found I need to add some tin to my mix in order to get a better fill out using range scrap. Unfortunately I can't smelt it all at the same time so I get differing alloys. If it fills easily, I just cast it. If it doesn't, I add some tin. Other than that it works great. Shoots better than the straight linotype I used to use.