PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model1200 suddenly cant pump back after shot.Have to manually press button

olivestab
03-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I dont even know how to properly phrase this issue, sorry :/

But as far as the problem goes, has this happened to anyone before? The gun has never been dropped, bumped, or taken fully apart because It is a recent purchase and Ive only cleaned out the barrel and slide after shooting.

Ive shot 00Buck shot with no problems, and cheap bird shot. A friend of mine bought me some new birdshot that was a little more powerful, and when I took it out to shoot it thats when it started.

Yes I checked to make sure the size was ok, Its all 2 3/4 12gauge. It cant be the amount of gun powder in the hotter birdshot cause I was shooting military grade (came in military packaging) 00Buck shot just fine.

Ive taken the gun apart down to the trigger assembly and cleaned it all off, put it back together but no fix. The only weird thing is In a burst of frustration I just started shooting it rapidly and pressing the button each time, and ONE of the shots actually unlocked the slide and I was able to pump it back, but after that I couldn't get it to work again. Any advise??

MBTcustom
03-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Take it to your gunsmith and get it fixed. I have run into this situation before, I just cant remember exactly what I did to fix it.
The gun has a bolt stop that is deactivated when the hammer falls, allowing the bolt to be manually cycled backwards. The lever on the outside of the gun is an override.
Take the trigger group out and see what part pops up and stops the bolt. It's nothing but a little tab of metal IIRC. That tab has a place to be manipulated by the internals of the trigger when the hammer is down.
Cycle it and observe the cause and effect closely. You'll probably see it.
If I had the gun in my hands, I could snap right to it, but I know I'm thinking Remington, and the Winchester is a little different.

roysha
03-17-2014, 08:01 PM
I haven't messed with one of those models for quite a while but as I recall they are like the old M-12 in that they need to have the slide shift a tiny bit forward after firing to release the bolt lock. This is normally accomplished under recoil when the forearm is held firmly and the recoil more or less automatically moves the slide forward, (because of the resistance of your hand holding the forearm), and releasing the bolt lock. To check, simply make sure the gun is clear, rack the slide then pull the trigger without holding the forearm. It should not unlock. Push the slide forward a bit and it should unlock. If not, then you indeed have a problem that needs to be checked by a competent gunsmith.

gunshot98
04-22-2014, 08:10 PM
I've had that problem before and roysha is right. If I have a trigger group I will take some pics and try to show you how to check for other problems.