PDA

View Full Version : What size sizer die for Mauser 98/22 8MM?

Crash_Corrigan
12-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I need to size down cast boolits to fit this crafty Czech shooter. Would I do better with a .324 or a .325 Saeco Lubrisizer die to make good shooting boolits for this one? Both are available from Midway but I do not want to buy both of them. Anybody have any experience with this particular Mauser and what it eats best? :confused:

Ricochet
12-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Just because the standard Lee sizer kit for 8mm is .323", I've been using that. Shoots fine in my 98/22. I think I may have slugged it once upon a time, but I don't recall the measurements. I shoot those .323s in all my 8mms anyway.

If I had to buy a lubrisizer die, I'd go for the .325".

Crash_Corrigan
12-25-2007, 10:29 PM
I've been loading Lees 170 Gr boolit from a mold I bought a few years ago. It is only a single but make a nice boolit. I do not size it and use Lee Alox lube and it produces a good group.

However I am in on GB for the .325 plinker and that baby will need to be sized down a mite and I wanted to get the right one on the first try. I load 'em with 13 gr of Red Dot and they work real nice for me. Low recoil and a looping parabola trajectory that does real good out to about 300 yds.

The other shooters used to laugh at me when my pop gun went off but I have been known to take a ribbon or two and now they want me to load some 8 mm's for them! It is a fun group of old farts using any military bolt action rifle of at least 50 years of age. It runs from Argentine Mausers, K-98's, Schmidt-Rubins, Enfields, Springfields, Arisakas, Lee-Enfields, Sweedes, MN's and anything else that works.

We get outfitted up in old uniforms, helemts and ghilliy suits and have blast. Extra points for shooting with a bayonet mounted and correct period uniforms are always appreciated.

Ricochet
12-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Do you know it'll have to be sized down to chamber properly?

I'm thinking 13 grains of Red Dot will be on the hot side for a plain based plinker.

beemer
12-25-2007, 11:46 PM
I use a .325 die. for both of my 8mm rifles, a 48bo and a 24/47. The Lee mould sizes down about two thousands, the Lyman is already .324 so it just seats the gas check. I slugged one but don't remember the size either but the .325 die works. The other shot the same ammo well so I didn't bother to measure it. My shootin buddy uses a .325 die and a Lee boolit in a 98 with very good accuracy. If what you are doing works maybe you don't have to do anything different for the new mould.

You might end up like I have on my 30 cal. dies,I have almost all the sizes Lyman makes. The truth is that I could probably get by with two of them,.310 for the 30-06 and K31 and .314 for the 303 and 7.62x54. I have two that are very close to the same, the small one is a little to big and the big one is a little small.

beemer

texas tenring
12-26-2007, 12:13 AM
My Czech 98/22 slugs a groove dia. at .323 and I size the Lee 175 8mm boolit to .325 in a Lyman lubesizer with with 50/50 Lyman alox/beewax. That combination will shoot inch and a half on a good day at 100yds but realisticly averarage 2" everyday at approx. 1700fps. I really like Lee LLA and shoot it with good success in other rifles but have'nt yet in this rifle. I suspect any boolit .324 up that will chamber unsized and lubed with LLA will shoot well in the 98/22. MY chamber easily accepts the .325 sized boolit and that is real experiance with my rifle

scrapcan
12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I too use a .325 sizer for my 98/22. I could go even larger as the chamber is generous. My barrel slugs .324. My barrel is not pristine (quite rought to be truthful). 2 - 3 inch groups at 100 is frequent, still looking for more consistant and tighter load. I have used LBT blue soft, Carnuaba Red, 2500+, Javelina, RCBS, and a coule other lubes with similar results.