PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Compound

DCP
03-15-2014, 05:56 PM
I have some Polishing Compound that's a little dry.

Any good oil work to reactive or is it a special oil?

Thanks

johnson1942
03-15-2014, 06:46 PM
for metal or for wood finish?

country gent
03-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Polishing compound is a very broad term. Is it rouges grits ( lapping compunds) diamond or others. All use diffrent carriers some are wax based some water based some oil based some are dry powders mixed with the carrier you want to use. Need more info for an accurate answer

DCP
03-15-2014, 06:58 PM
No 7 white Polishing compound

Made by Rain Dance car care products.

Works cars, metal and real wood

Skipper
03-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Their MSDS says that they use Kerosene

missionary5155
03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Greetings
I have been interested in Hall Rifles for some years and read some about the production.
Final "fitting of the elevating breach block" was accomplished with very fine wheat flour.
Mike in Peru

country gent
03-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Common practice in most machine shops was to save the residue from grinders. Mixed in a light oil suspenson and timing diffrent grits could be obtained. I have an old machinists handbook that gives the procedure and times for the diffrent grits to settle.

johnson1942
03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
if your polishing a wood finish after the pumice stone powder and the rotten stone powder, get the HUTS plastic polish or brownells 5 f polishing powder. the HUTS is used to bring back small airplane plastic windshields to clear again and the 5f will do the same. makes the finsh look 3D and be so clear that it looks to disapear.

Walter Laich
03-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I used HUTS on wood turnings and it does a great job. You can get it too hot on a lathe, though

Frank46
03-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Some of the old time gun books suggest using flour of emory mixed in a fine oil for final fitting and lapping in of parts. I bought my polishing compounds at a local machine shop supply house. Comes in large ingot sized bricks. Brownell's sells a few different types of polishing compounds. Worth a look. Frank

uscra112
03-23-2014, 05:01 AM
Common practice in most machine shops was to save the residue from grinders. Mixed in a light oil suspenson and timing diffrent grits could be obtained. I have an old machinists handbook that gives the procedure and times for the diffrent grits to settle.

I've seen that in an old "toolroom methods" book. Mix the grit with oil, wait 2-3 days and pour the oil into another clean jar. What's in the first jar os the coarse stuff. Wait a few days more and do that again. Eventually the only grit still in suspension is fine enough to finish-lap mirrors and lenses. Apparently known in the 18th century, 'cause that's how astronomers got the grits to lap their optics.

Walter Laich
03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
I've seen that in an old "toolroom methods" book. Mix the grit with oil, wait 2-3 days and pour the oil into another clean jar. What's in the first jar os the coarse stuff. Wait a few days more and do that again. Eventually the only grit still in suspension is fine enough to finish-lap mirrors and lenses. Apparently known in the 18th century, 'cause that's how astronomers got the grits to lap their optics.

good to know--guess if you think about it you wonder why you didn't realize that in the first place