PDA

View Full Version : 10 good shots of pedersoli gibbs with the new bullet mold Brooks

Saltner
03-15-2014, 02:01 PM
10 shots with my pedersoli gibbs 110 yards
552 new postell pure lead casting with brooks mold, resizing .450
lube 40% beeswax, 40% paraffin, 20% vaseline
70 gn. swiss n° 3, no wads
http://i61.tinypic.com/260yc13.jpg

six more shots with the same formula
http://i59.tinypic.com/1rwume.jpg

johnson1942
03-15-2014, 03:35 PM
glad to see it has come together. good shooting.

Fly
03-15-2014, 04:40 PM
What range YARDS was that at?
Fly

GARD72977
03-15-2014, 07:02 PM
post some pics of the gun

oldracer
03-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Can you list the order the shots hit the paper in? Did they start at the top and go down or the bottom and go up or just hit in any order? With my Pedersoli Gibbs, if I do not wipe the bore enough between shots, the fouling builds up a tad in the lands and the shots creep downward. I am betting those are at 100 yards although I have seen some shoot those groups at 200, 300 or further. I can get that sized grouping but I need to be having a VERY good day for sure! I use a Brooks 448-540 bullet mold with Doug Knoell's lube and 80gn of powder.

Saltner
03-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Have you seen Roger that i found the combination!
First with the bullets casting with mold Pedersoli were lighter than 20 grains and was shooting well with 60 grains of swiss n° 3, with these new bullets i had to increase the firing charge of 10 grains.
Ooldracer..., swiping i made it on the second target, and i think it's the fault of humidity in the barrel, the next time i have to dry the barrel.
Distance 110 yards.

johnson1942
03-16-2014, 11:56 AM
now you need to come here and shoot a buffalo.

Saltner
03-16-2014, 01:40 PM

It would be amazing to be able to hunt in the U.S., but the costs are prohibitive [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Saltner
03-16-2014, 01:58 PM
post some pics of the gun

This is a picture of a gun the same as mine
http://www.cherrys.com/pedpics/S225b.jpg

johnson1942
03-16-2014, 02:39 PM
the good thing about your group is the slight stringing is up and down and not side to side. that usually is easy to fix. usually shooting from a clean barrel and putting some grease type lube in you barrel channel will cure that. also shoot your first shot with just powder then clean some and start from their. a semi fouled barrel will shoot the same but not quite the same as a whistle clean barrel. to hunt buffalo in the U.S. you dont need a license, just pay the rancher for the buffalo. also what to do with all that meat when you get it. it would be fun though.

Fly
03-17-2014, 03:13 AM
I have the very same rifle.Do you have the stock Pedersoli sights on your Gibbs?

Fly

Boz330
03-17-2014, 09:20 AM

I would sure hate to tote that Gibbs around to shoot a buff, that isn't your basic offhand rifle. But then I'm old.

Bob

Fly
03-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Bob no worst then carrying a BAR threw the jungles hunting VC.But your right we were much younger then.

(wink) Fly

Hednign
03-18-2014, 04:53 AM
Sweet.... I have been wondering what kind of mold to buy for my Gibbs....when it arrives. Your group up there pretty much put an end to it. Does it weigh in at 552 grs after sizing? Im not sure how heavy a bullet I would need for the 900 yards range. I am determined to go to the long range world championship next year. I think it is held somewhere in Ohio. Would be a blast to meet some of you guys there....

Boz330
03-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Sweet.... I have been wondering what kind of mold to buy for my Gibbs....when it arrives. Your group up there pretty much put an end to it. Does it weigh in at 552 grs after sizing? Im not sure how heavy a bullet I would need for the 900 yards range. I am determined to go to the long range world championship next year. I think it is held somewhere in Ohio. Would be a blast to meet some of you guys there....

I believe that it will be at Camp Butner North Carolina. I have several friends that shoot on the US Team.
I have a Gibbs but had both knees replaced at the end of last year and the down side is that I can't stand to kneel. Getting up and down with a ML without kneeling would be a real challenge, so I'm doing cartridge rifle where they allow both to shoot.

Bob

johnson1942
03-18-2014, 09:16 AM
fly, i know this off subject but i loved the bar. man could i hit with that thing. almost left this world when one got away from this guy. he kept his finger on the trigger and made almost a complete circle with it chuging away.it ran dry as he pulled down on me. boy was the gunnery sarg. mad. the gun was really accurate and i found fairly easy to hold. thanks for the memory.

Saltner
03-18-2014, 11:17 AM

For long-distance shoot a bullet would be better patched and with a weight of 560-570 grains, my next purchase will be just a mold for casting bullets patched, this is a great model of mold
99859 99860
http://www.kal.castpics.net/Molds.html
http://www.kal.castpics.net/Molds2.html

Hednign
05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
I don't mean or want to steal your thread Saltner, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I got myself a Gibbs last week. It came with a 575 Lee Shaver bullet mold and a MV mid range tang sight. Pretty shallow grease grooves on that bullet, but a little wider than most. They group well. Havent tried more than one load so far. 70 grs Swiss no 4. And just at 100m. 1 moa group. Looking forward to do some testing further out on the range....

Saltner
05-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Congratulations, you're on your way!
Remember that every Gibbs is different from others, i have tried many times loads of other friends but with no success, i went on my way and I've tried so long to get good results.
The mold will come to me KAL days :bigsmyl2:

Saltner
05-22-2014, 02:59 AM
Came the new mold, i did not think it was so elegant.
Practically the existing molds, a mold is with tights, a miniskirt and high heels. :bigsmyl2: