PDA

View Full Version : MSgtUSMC

MSgtUSMC
03-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Casting for a .380. Bullets are coming out of the RCBS mould just fine. Using an RCBS Lube-A- Matic to size and lube. Using an RCBS sizer die in .355. I've used the instruction manual as directed and with some variations. I don't get any lube in the lube groove but do get a column of lube between the base of the bullet and the top of the rod inside of the sizing die. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

monadnock#5
03-14-2014, 10:05 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?91889-Poor-RCBS-LAM2-results-and-the-solution&highlight=rcbs

Hi Sarge, If you go to post 3, it will give instructions as to how to cure the problem you're having. The attachment is gone, but I believe there is enough verbiage to get you through.

Dear Moderators, is there a way to renew the attachment? Thank you!

Mike W1
03-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Try getting a 1/4 x 3/8 x 1/2 steel spacer from the hardware and putting it in above the ejector screw. It'll give you a little more adjustment and is easily removed if needbe.

tomme boy
03-15-2014, 12:29 AM
On the bottom of the sizer you can see the screw to be able to adjust the amount the bullet goes into the press. There is a knurled locking nut on the adjusting screw. Unscrew the whole rod and take that round knurled nut off. Now the rod will adjust up about 1/4" higher.

MSgtUSMC
03-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Thank you gentlemen. I've tried each of your suggestions to no avail. When I adjust so that I get 1/3 of the lube groove on the bullet filled with lube I begin to get the lube between the rod in the sizing die and the base of the bullet. When I remove the bullet from the die there is lube stuck to the bottom of the bullet. The amount depends upon how deep I've seated the bullet into the die. Any more ideas?

tomme boy
03-16-2014, 02:41 AM
How I adjust my sizer is to have the adjuster all the way up so no lube will fill the groves. I give the adjuster rod one tun to be able to sink the bullet deeper into the die. If no lube, I keep lowering it till I get lube in the grove. I stop right there. The only time I get lube under the bullet is either the pressure is too high or the temp on my heater is too high. If you have a bevel base bullet it will give a very lite amount on the edge. Also if I size it down real slow it gets lube under it sometimes. I just wipe it off the bullet and keep on sizing. You are going to have a very little amount sometimes. Can you post a picture to show how much lube you are talking about.

Wayne Smith
03-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Any bevel base boolit will do that. A piece of a styrofoam cut punched down into the die prevents it but does need to be renewed periodically. The other common cause is putting pressure on the nut to express lube while not putting down pressure on the boolit.

montana_charlie
03-16-2014, 01:04 PM
When the bullet is fully inserted in the sizing die, the bullet base is resting on the ejector pin.
If firm pressure is maintained on the operating lever, no lube can creep between the base and ejector ...
UNLESS ... the lube is pushed in with too much pressure, or the lube is too warm.

Crank in lube with 'light' pressure until you feel a tad of resistance.
That should be the 'full groove' signal.

Then, relieve pressure in the reservoir by turning the screw backward a quarter or half turn.

Now, you should be able to raise the bullet without 'residual pressure' forcing lube under the base.

If this cures your problem, you can refine it to be less 'complicated'.
For instance, you can turn the lube screw until you are about to get the full groove signal, but stop a little bit early.
The groove will fill okay, but you won't have that 'residual pressure' in the system.
That way, you can cut out the screw reversal to relieve pressure ... simplifying the process a little.

CM