PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358429

38 Super Auto
12-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Do you guys have any experience with the 358429 170gr SWC ?

I've read some reports that the nose length above the crimp groove makes for a cartridge OAL too long for some revolver cylinders.

Murphy
12-25-2007, 08:11 PM
38 Super Auto,

The #358429 was designed by Elmer Keith to be shot in the .38 Special cartridge in heavy duty N Frame S&W's.

To answer your question, the #358429 will not fit in all .357 cylinders if crimped in the crimping groove.

I can't tell you what all .357 handguns the boolit will work seated in the crimping groove. Hang around a check back often and I'm sure if you're wondering about using this boolit in a particular handgun, someone will be able to tell you.

I know for certain works fine seated in the crimp groove in a S&W Model 19, and I 'think' the Model 586/686. It WILL NOT work if seated in the crimping groove in S&W Models 27/28 or the .357 Model 60's.

Hope this is of some help.........best of luck.

Murphy

garandsrus
12-25-2007, 08:36 PM
38 Super Auto,

Check the original group buy thread for this mold. I don't remember which post it is, but there's a listing with the various revolvers and whether or not the boolit will fit.

I have a S&W 686 in .357 and it fits when crimped in the groove.

John

38 Super Auto
12-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys. I'm shooting a vintage 686. I should be in business. I am looking for a heavy bullet for bowling pin hunting.

beagle
12-25-2007, 11:20 PM
The original Ideal square groove Keiths do sometimes have length problems in S & Ws. Colts are pretty close too. Rugers have no problems that I've encountered.

With the later Lyman made 358429s I have encountered few problems as they slightly shortened the nose and messed with the front driving band and went to a rounded grease groove.

I've heard that Elmer decided later on that maybe the 358429 was perhaps a little too heavy and long for general use and Lyman brought out the 358477.

I have used the 358429 extensively and have had no problems with my Python and Ruger Blackhawks. The 358477 is also a good compromise if you do encounter problems.

Buying a mould from Lyman or off E-Bay is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what you'll get. But a good 358429 is a darn fine shooting bullet IMO./beagle

mstarling
12-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Though it is not quite a Keith design, the 356477 bullet weighs in at 150 gr (in #2 alloy) and works fine in the .38 Spcl, the .357 Magnum, and (sized to .356 or .357") .38 Super!

Is still made if my memory serves me.

AZ-Stew
12-26-2007, 12:08 AM
I can tell you for sure that it will fit Smith 586/686, Smith M-19, Ruger Security Six and will not fit Smith M-27/28 if crimped in the crimp groove.

My solution for the M-27/28 was to seat deeper and crimp into (not over) the front driving band, shortening the overall cartridge length to where the bullet was just below flush with the front of the cylinder. I never measured this length, so I can't post it, but the setting is fairly easy. Set your bullet seating die to seat but not crimp. Seat the bullet to the crimp groove and insert the cartridge into the cylinder. Observe how much of the bullet protrudes from the front face of the cylinder. Screw the bullet seating stem down aproximately equal to the amount of bullet nose protrusion you observed and seat the bullet deeper. Check the round in the cylinder again. Repeat this cycle until you have the bullet nose just below flush.

Now, unscrew the bullet seating stem as far as possible so you don't seat the bullet deeper when you adjust the crimping function of the die. Adjust the crimp to your requirements, then, with the cartridge all the way in the die (press handle down), screw the seating stem down until it makes firm contact with the bullet. Then lock the seating stem with its lock nut.

From this point, you can seat and crimp in a single operation.

Regards,

Stew

RGS
01-02-2008, 01:34 AM
38 Super Auto,

For bowling pins you will not need heavy loads so the crimp groove won't be needed to keep the bullet from moving during recoil. I'd crimp into the forward driving band as AZ-Stew suggests.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die and crimp/size in a separate operation (station 4). Set it one time and it will put a dandy crimp on any bullet of any length or nose shape with no further fuss. Plus the carbide ring sizes the case to factory specs. No need to force cases into the cylinder with your thumb any more.

Rick

Shiloh
01-02-2008, 10:16 AM
It fits a Ruger Security Six with a little room to spare.

If it doesn't fit your particular wheel gun,
you have a couple of choices. You can seat the boolit to and crimp into the front band, or you can trim some .357 brass so it will fit cylinder seated to, and secured in the crimp groove.

If you have more than one .357 mag handgun, you may or may not have to keep the trimmed brass separate.

Shiloh