PDA

View Full Version : Bat-Guano Contender barrel resurfaces on Gunbroker 3/13/2014

ohland
03-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to search for Contender barrels:

22-250 Contender Super 16 Barrel TC T/C
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=400780061

We beat this to death when this was on evil-buy. So if you want to buy this, and through your careful calculated loads keep from exceeding the ultimate tensile strength, please feel free to do so.

Why someone diddled a perfectly good .223, I'll never know...

:not listening:

35 shooter
03-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Think i'll pass on this one! Wonder what the reasoning was on reaming the chamber that thin was? More case capacity for a reduced load? Guess it seemed like a good idea at the time? They must have had some reason in mind but i don't see it. I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before someone sticks a full, power load in there. Talk about an accident waiting to happen!...Wow

Artful
03-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Wonder if there's enough meat left to make it a stub for a new barrel?

Mk42gunner
03-15-2014, 08:59 AM

I don't know, but that may be the most intelligent suggestion for this barrel that I have read.

Robert

ohland
03-15-2014, 09:01 AM

Well, the head is @.473, giving walls of .174, IIRC, stubs use about a .625 dia barrel shank, I think...

Or, if it is cheep enough, what of a barrel liner? Nice little 25 caliber walking gun.

bosterr
03-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Hey Ohland, what ever became of the 22 match barrel you were having trouble with?

nanuk
03-15-2014, 02:23 PM
just a thought here...

what do you all consider the minimum chamber thickness for a 65KPSI cartridge?

leftiye
03-15-2014, 04:33 PM
That thickness needs to be in the barrel itself. If you thread your breech stub to the barrel it is waay stronger, as all it (the breech stub) needs to support anyway is the barrel pushing away from the breech due to friction with the boolit/bullet, and some pressure at the shoulder (if there is a shoulder). Not the actual pressure. I like to chamber these stub setups in a Contender for hornets, bees, and 22 rfs.

ohland
03-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Hey Ohland, what ever became of the 22 match barrel you were having trouble with?
Finally concluded that the extractor cut was too shallow, and that machining the non-offending extractor was the wrong way to do it. TC (actually S&W) sent me a pre-paid label, sent it back. They received it on 11 March. Two options, first machine the extractor for a shallower cut, then push the rim down. Rejected that, I agree that making the extractor thinner may not be good if I ever have a swelled case (might rebarrel it to the 22-250?). Second option was to cut the extractor cut deeper, and I could, with a keyway cutter and my A1 indexer. BUT that is accepting a product not to the maker's original specs.

bosterr
03-16-2014, 11:42 AM
I can't imagine S & W doing anything other than a new replacement. I just hope they have one in stock to send you rather than wait for another production run. I wonder what the person was thinking that installed the extractor, and had to see that something was wrong and let it go anyway. I hope you have a happy and quick ending to this story. Let us know the outcome?

Bob

bosterr
03-16-2014, 02:00 PM
I highly recommend Match Grade Machine barrels for just a couple bucks more than a TC.