PDA

View Full Version : 22 rf reloading

shooterbob
03-14-2014, 07:20 PM
I know I've talked to guys who used to have a hand loader for 22 back in the 40's and used to take a stick and put the primer base in the case and swirl it around. Has anyone seen anything like those anymore? And can anyone even get the lead styphnate or equivilant anymore? I was thinking of the exploding target material. I looked into one and its a vapor not a burn with a report. Any thoughts on figuring it out for fun?

Jailer
03-14-2014, 08:32 PM
For me it's a lot easier to just load readily avaialable 223 brass with a light load of fast pistol powder and a cast boolit sans gas check.

Same effect, cheap to load and shoot and gets the job done whithout having to rely on suppply chain dynamics.

screamingjohnny
03-15-2014, 10:31 PM
I'm with Jailer on this one. However I would a cast boolit in my Hornet.

shooterbob
03-16-2014, 04:29 PM
I agree with that, I just want to revive the old way for fun. I wish I knew the name of the old press they used. I'm sure it was an older hand seater like lymans old 310. I guess I could just find one of the old 22 bp breachloaders that used the toy caps.

hendere
03-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Once I bought a box of assorted stuff from an older cartridge collector, and there was a single round of 14 caliber rimfire that appeared to be formed from a 22LR. It had a note with the name of the wildcat but I've forgotten. I always thought that reloading or forming a primed rimfire round sounded scary. Interesting to hear that it was done enough to market tools.