PDA

View Full Version : garand question

atr
03-14-2014, 07:03 PM
I am unfamiliar with the current thinking on using factory commerical 30-06 ammo (J's) in a Garand. Is using commerical (non-military) ammo a problem?

thanks
atr

Outpost75
03-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Problem with commercial softpoint ammo is that you don't know what powder it is loaded with.

Hot loads with the slower burning powders can bend the operating rod, or drive the Op rod out of its track in the receiver, damaging the guide lug.

Getting good replacement M1 operating rods these days can be an expensive proposition. I would not take the chance.

If I were to use factory softpoint ammo I would limit myself to 150-grain bullets, as those are more likely to be loaded with a powder in the burning rate range of 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget, which are best suited for the Garand.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the ammunition companies and see if you can get an intelligent answer. I would be interested in what they say.

Thirty years ago I would be confident you would get someone who understood port pressure and dwell time. These days all the tech suport people on the phones seem to be feather merchants and not engineers......

30CAL-TEXAN
03-14-2014, 09:03 PM
If you want or need to shoot new factory ammo, PPU is producing a new Ball M2 load.

Last time I checked it was available at most of the larger online sources.

Scharfschuetze
03-14-2014, 11:02 PM
A good way to adjust the gas system in an M1 Garand is to order the Schuster adjustable gas plug. You can adjust from full open for single shot use or full closed with M2 Ball or M72 Match ammo or anything inbetween for various powders and bullet weights.

Here's a link:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777146/schuster-dcm-adjustable-gas-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized

Hardcast416taylor
03-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Hornady is making Garand specific ammo.Robert

lefty o
03-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Federal also makes M1 specific ammunition.

Hickok
03-15-2014, 07:23 AM
If you go to reloads, H4895 or Imr 4895 are the powders that work well. I use them in my M1a NM also.

sagamore-one
03-15-2014, 08:06 AM
One thing to be aware of is chamber leading if you shoot a lot of soft point exposed lead tip ammo. The feeding cycle will sometimes smear lead into the chamber. After a while the build up is sufficient to stick the brass in the chamber. I took an Urban Rifle course and it happened to me. 500 rounds the first day... no problems. 400 the second day.... no problems. At approx. 1100 rounds I switched to soft point and within 4oo rounds the problem appeared.
Just a "heads up".

Hardcast416taylor
03-15-2014, 09:20 AM
One thing to be aware of is chamber leading if you shoot a lot of soft point exposed lead tip ammo. The feeding cycle will sometimes smear lead into the chamber. After a while the build up is sufficient to stick the brass in the chamber. I took an Urban Rifle course and it happened to me. 500 rounds the first day... no problems. 400 the second day.... no problems. At approx. 1100 rounds I switched to soft point and within 4oo rounds the problem appeared.
Just a "heads up".

This makes me wonder if the polymer tipped bullets made by Nosler and Hornady would be a better solution to lead tipped bullets? I remember in the old days M-1 shooters/reloaders used the Remington Bronze point in place of an FMJ bullet. Robert

roverboy
03-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Like the other guys said, don't shoot just any ammo in your Garand. Shoot M2 ball that you know is good, or good handloads with the right type of powder. Or, get a adjustable gas plug. I've wondered about the adjustable plugs but, a friend said he had one and they work good. He's shot a few hundred loads through his with no problem.

jonk
03-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Good information. To it I will just add, if the factory ammo isn't marked as M1 safe or M2 ball compatible or something like that, contacting the manufacturer and asking can't hurt, though as said, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Powders faster than 4320 but slower than 3031 with a 150 to 180 gr bullet are best.

Scharfschuetze
03-15-2014, 02:50 PM
+1 on 4895 for duplicating military loads and pressures in the M1.

A good way to keep your Garand Chamber clean is to use the old military ratchet style chamber brush. They made them for both the M1 in 30/06 and the M14 in 7.62 lengths. If you can't find the GI issue brushes at your local gun show, I see that they now make duplicates of them which you can get at Midway or other large on-line retailers.

Use a section of a GI .30 cal rod to operate the ratchet system.

Scharfschuetze
03-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Other options for cleaning your M1's chamber are the combo tools issued by the military. While no longer common, they still crop up from time to time at gun shows.

atr
03-15-2014, 04:20 PM
thanks guys...very useful....I am reasearching for a friend who just aquired a Garand and he knows even less about them than I do!
again
thank you all
atr

lonewelder
03-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Good info here.also use grease not oil.if not even the right ammo can bend an op rod.also replace the op rod spring with an orion 7 spring and enjoy.

country gent
03-22-2014, 07:13 PM
The garand handles normal pressures fine it the pressure at the gas port that is an issue. Slower powders increase the pressure on the port causing issues with functioning. ( Why the M14 had a shut off on the gas system to be used when using the gernade launcher). Even most current greases are on the thin side of what is was recomended in the manuals for the garand but I believe they are still available from some suppliers. For lubing the op rod cam connection with the bolt Plastilube was recomended I also used this on bolt lugs faces. Its a very thick tenacious lube about like a wax. I kept triggers units dry. Although some recomended a little Plastilube on the hammer nose. A very small drop of oil or very light grease on hammer hooks is okay. A light oil or coating of this grease on the barrel where op rod rides. A light coat of grease on the op rod spring. The garand is a very fine rifle and very useable durable and dependable. When all is right very accurate. As to disasembly the rocking out of the barreled action is hard on good bedding jobs and only done when necessary. Handling by the front handgaurd can also affect accuracy.

kywoodwrkr
03-22-2014, 11:40 PM
This to be used with the usual disclaimers:
http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm
YGMV (a variation of your mileage may vary-your garand may vary)
My attempt, after too many basketball games, at some humor. Sorry!

lonewelder
03-23-2014, 08:24 PM
I think lubra-plate is the right grease but I haven't seen it in a while.

30CAL-TEXAN
03-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Yep - Lubriplate 130-A, it's still available.

tygar
03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
A good way to adjust the gas system in an M1 Garand is to order the Schuster adjustable gas plug. You can adjust from full open for single shot use or full closed with M2 Ball or M72 Match ammo or anything inbetween for various powders and bullet weights.

Here's a link:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777146/schuster-dcm-adjustable-gas-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized

Yes a adjustable gas plug but go with Clinton Fowler, the inventer of it. 540 672 0357 (hopefully he's still doing it, he's old)
Tom

Kent Fowler
03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
I think lubra-plate is the right grease but I haven't seen it in a while.

Brownells carries it. Also, it's in the Napa catalog. 130-A Milspec