PDA

View Full Version : Track of the Wolf .490 6 cavity RB mold

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-14-2014, 02:20 PM
when I saw these 6 cavity round ball molds on the TOW web site, I knew I wanted one , it came Saturday , I just cleaned it ,lubed, smoked it and got casting

I just cast 220 in shat seemed like no time at all , once things really got moving I figure i was cycling in under a minute

only problem now is it seem like just as I get a really good rhythm going my pot is empty , maybe it is time for a second pot

Junior1942
03-14-2014, 02:33 PM
:-) :-) I need to get off my butt and cast some with my new Lee 12-hole mold. And I need to cast some 195 gr RCBS copies with a new Swede mold and some 37 gr 22 from another new Swede mold.

John Allen
03-14-2014, 02:35 PM
I just ordered one of their 457 RB 6 cavities for my ruger old army. I can not wait to get it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-14-2014, 02:53 PM
double

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-14-2014, 03:00 PM
I am wishing I had ordered a .457 6 cavity now that i see how sweet the .490 is

sadly i was trying to keep the wife from beating me for makeing 2 TOW orders in a week and a new gun , and only ordered the 2 cavity , oh well maybe on my next order if I end up liking this ROA i just bought I will upgrade to the 6 cavity and put my 2 up for sale

Junior , it like it hot , real hot bordering on frosty hot , there is something especially satisfying when a mold drops all 6 with a single thud on the the towel

the cheap hot plate has sure helped with the pre heat on the 6 cavity molds now I can set it down and come back to it and not have to start all over

Junior1942
03-14-2014, 03:35 PM
....Junior , it like it hot , real hot bordering on frosty hot , there is something especially satisfying when a mold drops all 6 with a single thud on the the towel Yep, my thoughts exactly. I've just had too much to do lately to play with my bullet molds. I still haven't done my taxes, for example, joy, joy. Then there was a water leak under the house. . . . Way under the house. . . . But the word is "was" not "is."

Nobade
03-14-2014, 08:04 PM
So the question for everybody who has one of those moulds, is how round are the balls it makes? I ask because I have a .380" one and it is easy to see they ran the cutter too far into the blocks - the balls are about .004" wider than they are tall. They still work fine in my repro '51 revolver though. And you sure can make a lot of them in a short time!

-Nobade

mooman76
03-14-2014, 09:38 PM
when I saw these 6 cavity round ball molds on the TOW web site, I knew I wanted one , it came Saturday , I just cleaned it ,lubed, smoked it and got casting

I just cast 220 in shat seemed like no time at all , once things really got moving I figure i was cycling in under a minute

only problem now is it seem like just as I get a really good rhythm going my pot is empty , maybe it is time for a second pot

Make smaller ingot and have them ready when casting. Add a little at a time to keep the pot level up so you can cast longer sessions.

Lee doesn't use cutters to make their moulds. They are lath cut and then press a steel ball into the cavity for uniformity.

rhbrink
03-15-2014, 02:55 AM
So the question for everybody who has one of those moulds, is how round are the balls it makes? I ask because I have a .380" one and it is easy to see they ran the cutter too far into the blocks - the balls are about .004" wider than they are tall. They still work fine in my repro '51 revolver though. And you sure can make a lot of them in a short time!

-Nobade
Every round ball mold that I have that has the tangential cut-off is shorter top to bottom than the diameter. Including Saeco.

RB

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-15-2014, 12:52 PM
measuring from parting lines at the equator .491 measuring from the equator 90* from the parting lines .491 so they seem good to me , i measured a few as large as .493 , but I don't know I had the mold tight shut as for the sprue axis it doesn't much matter they get a flat side when I start them down the barrel

Fly
03-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Ya, Lee makes great affordable molds.Good to see something made in the USA cheap & good.

Fly