PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon's LeveRevolution powder uses?

Shuz
03-14-2014, 02:00 PM
I recently acquired an 8 lb jug of LeveRevolution for a good price and planned on using it with cast boolits in my .30-30's. I know it is proven powder for that cartridge based on comments from many of the board members here.

I contacted Hodgdon's via e-mail and asked about this powders suitability for the .444 Marlin as well as others, and so far have not rec'd an answer.

I'd also like to know where, in a few of the many burning rate charts "out there", this powder may be slotted.

Any help on this powder with other cartridges would be appreciated. Thanks--Shuz

dragon813gt
03-14-2014, 02:08 PM
It is between W748 and W760 for a wide range. And specifically between CFE223 and H380. The charts are available so I'm wondering why not download all that you can find?

cwheel
03-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Having looked at the charts, it looks like they have only done limited testing with this stuff so far. I, for one would sure like to see some more testing done, this powder looks like it could end up very useful in other calibers. Larry Gibson did some great testing earlier and posted his results, very well received by all. Sounds like it likes to run somewhere near the top of the loadings, and work with other cals might end up with some great results. I look forward to Hodgdon's stepping up to the plate and doing more testing.
Chris

Larry Gibson
03-14-2014, 03:59 PM
The positioning on the burn rate charts is deceiving due to the very slow pressure trace of LeveRevolution powder. I've done a pretty thorough test of velocity and pressure in the 30-30. Found it works very well with jacketed bullets of 150 or heavier gr. With cast bullets it takes at least a 170 gr bullet to make the powder burning efficiently and that is with 100% load density. LeveRevolution powder works extremely well with heavier cast bullet such as the 311041 and the RCBS 30-180-FN. A maximum load at 100% load density will produce 100 - 200 more fps (24" barrel) than most 170 gr factory loads and with most often less psi.

I intend to get around to testing LeveRevolution powder in the .308W one of these days. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. A test with the 35-200-FN in my M91 Argie rebarreled with a 26" Shilen barrel is also on the agenda.

Larry Gibson

Bjornb
03-14-2014, 06:03 PM
I followed Larry's load recipes for the 311041 in my mod. 94 and it shot very well; the highest velocity loads I've ever shot in that gun with good accuracy. The post has been printed out and is pinned to the wall in my reloading room.

johnly
03-20-2014, 05:34 PM
It's the go top powder for loading the 6.5mm Grendel.

John

Sawbuck_Slim
03-20-2014, 07:45 PM
In the last month I have sent Hodgon 5 emails asking questions with no response, good luck.