PDA

View Full Version : What's this?

utk
12-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I recently bought a Lyman/Ideal 45 lubesizer from another board.
There was a pointed rod that the seller didn't know if it was for the lubesizer or perhaps for a True Line Jr press

The rod (seen next to a .358 top punch) is approx 2" long and .40" in diameter.
The alignment rod on the True Line Jr press has a flat top whereas my rod is pointed, and the tips looks "frosted". It also has what looks like three lube grooves on it. The bottom end is cut off rather roughly.

Anybody's got a clue?

montana_charlie
12-25-2007, 04:15 PM
The alignment rod on the press has a flat top whereas my rod is pointed,
I don't know which part you are calling the 'alignment rod'.
If you are referring to the "I" part of an "H&I" set, that is the 'insert punch'...which blocks unused lube ports, and raises the bullet up after lubing.

If your tapered rod is sized to fit snugly within the ("H") sizing die, it may be custom made for a hollow base bullet...and would prevent collapse of the 'skirt' as well as keeping lube out of the cavity.
CM

utk
12-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I've added some clarification. The rod is too big to be a "I" part, and the "lube grooves" puzzles me also.

It may well be so that it doesn't belong anywhere in a #45 Lubesizer or a True Line Jr reloading press...

floodgate
12-25-2007, 04:47 PM
utk:

It is NOT a part associated with any No. 45 lube-sizer or Tru-Line Jr. I have ever seen (and I own or have owned several of each, with a great number of dies). I sure don't recognize it.

floodgate

IcerUSA
12-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Does it fit in the sizer ? Might be a push rod for nose first HP boolits seeing how the tip of the rod looks like it has had contact with lead to me from the pic .

Just my WAG .

Keith

utk
12-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks Floodgate!

I didn't find anywhere it would fit on the #45, but wasn't sure about the Tru Line Jr as I've only seen one on a picture.

ICER: The dia. is .40 - too big to fit inside the die. And the frosty look is not lead but "dull steel".

waksupi
12-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Gas check expander?

utk
12-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Tip, or "meplat" diameter is .18 only.

I'm wondering if it might be a "top punch lap", it seems to match the profile of the H&G #73 2-cav mould I bought with it. The top punch seems to be a snug fit on the tip of the rod.
The dulled surface could be where the lappin' was done. The original owner might have started out with the closest tp at hand and fabricated a lap to make it perfect.

But why the lube grooves? Just for decoration?

Winger Ed.
12-25-2007, 08:10 PM
If the longer rod is a special tool someone made,
the grooves may have just been on the piece of roundstock they made it from,
and don't mean or do anything.

STP
12-25-2007, 09:23 PM
That`s something similar to what i found when I helped a local lady`s estate situation. He was a dealer for many decades, and I uncovered alot of "whatizzits" when I unpacked all the boxes and started sorting thru the stuff.

Trez Hensley
12-26-2007, 03:45 PM
That there is one of them armr percin bullets they used in the 50cal necked down to .40. The lube grooves din't seem to help nun seeins that we turned thum out of steel rod. We found you had to use an oversided barrel if'n you didn't want to use scrapnulll to do the dirty work.

Used them at close range, say bout 10ft from the targit If ya was still alive when all was said n done, you didn't really care whetur it worked as planned or not as it scart anyone within 600yrds and no one came close to you after that as acount of crazy people being dangerous and unperdictable and all. Did the trick for sum, others it just kilt, I never tried one myself being partial to my eyes and hands and not being half crazed.

Wellp hope this helpt you n your'n stay safe.
I'd say it be ill advised to try. Better a memento of a crazy fool time, back in the day.

--tongue in cheek--- ;) :)

toecutter
12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Based off what Trez said, it kinda fits the profile of the core use in 30MM GAU-8 AP rounds, these are normally surrounded by an oversized aluminum carrier. But the frosting on the nose isn't well explained... These are usually more than "crudely cut" on the bottom, and they are usually larger , about .75-1"

454PB
12-30-2007, 01:15 AM
I think it's a home made case mouth flaring tool. kind of a Lee Universal Expander. If it ain't it would work for one!