PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on magazine for carcano

nekshot
03-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Ok, I stuupidly bought a carcano some time back and push has come to shove. I rough shaped the wood for the stock and I am planning on a blind bottom with a magwell off a savage/stevens 200 and spring for same. Carrier might have to be remade as time will tell with feeding cartridge unto bolt. I have exhausted every which way I can think of to make this work with other mags. I don't want the militery banana type mag look and I want to get away from the weight of original metal bottom. My goal is a 6 pound gun when finished and the barrel right now is original 6.5 x 52 but that is subject to change. Any good intelligent or other thoughts on this that could help steer me thru this project?

thanks, nekshot

texassako
03-13-2014, 08:46 PM
I am kind of in the middle of a similar project. I used the Remington Model 8/81 magazines as inspiration since they are single stack and almost the same diameter cartridge. If you have seen one, the feed lips are pinned on the sides. I was thinking of making a similar, simpler sheet metal box and sacrificing a stripper clip to make the feed lips. I took down the barrel off one my Model 8s and a couple of test cartridges fed through the magazine by hand.

kywoodwrkr
03-13-2014, 10:42 PM
I'd step out of that box and look at rotary magazines as basis also.
6.5x54 MS comes to mind.
It was basically a two part magazine if I remember correctly.(Had one in '73-looong time in brain cell years)
Bottom swiveled and held it in receiver. Springfield Sporters has components for this.
http://ssporters.com/parts/greek-mannlicher-schoenauer.html
If you add(TIG) metal in the feed area, it can always be milled/ground out later if design ideas get modified.

JeffinNZ
03-13-2014, 10:58 PM
You could drop a .30cal barrel on, chamber to 7.62X39 and fasten a suitable magazine in place.

nekshot
03-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Tex, thats interesting I will look at my 81

kywood, I never thought rotary,I would need a spring to turn the spool

Jeff, I already have one in 7.62x39 that I converted the original mag to work with out the clip and I want to eliminate the trigger guard-bottom metal, to save on weight.
I do appreciate your input on this sows snoot of a gun!

c1skout
03-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't have any suggestions for you, but it sounds like a good idea. Other than the length of the buttstock I like my Carcano just fine. I've been thinking about getting a take-off stock from something newer to fit the Carcano action into just for a better fit to me.

JeffinNZ
03-15-2014, 03:35 AM
Alright, 6mm PPC then. Same case head size. OR .35 Rem OR 6.8 SPC.

DCM
03-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Or 6.5 Grendel They can easily be formed from 7.62x39 brass, I bet the PPCs can too.
Or 6.5MS they all have the correct case head to work in the Carcano.