PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 36

LeftyDon
03-13-2014, 04:43 PM
A Marlin 36 in 30-30 followed me home today. Gun may be a Frankenrifle since the receiver is blued (should be case colored) based upon S/N and the barrel has a forend band that covers up part of the writing and so I can't read all of the model. What is visible regarding model is:

Barrel Band"36-RC----30-30------------A" which seems to be for a 336 and so I need to make sure that the gun is safe to shoot before I try it out. Also, going to remove the offending barrel band to see if it is covering the rest of "336" and so I'll know for sure that the barrel has been replaced. Gun is a 1936 or 36 since it does have the square bolt and not the 336 round bolt.

RickinTN
03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
My '46 model 36 has the front barrel band covering some of the writing and I understand this is quite normal. Marlin did't waste anything even though the barrels were for an earlier version they still used them. The receiver on my rifle is blued and the "c" in the serial number actually looks like a small "G". I've seen other examples that were the same. If I understand correctly it would be difficult at best to blue a receiver that was once case-hardened.
Congratulations on your new rifle and I hope you enjoy it. I know I enjoy mine.
Would love to see pics of your,
Rick

LeftyDon
03-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I received a reply on the Marlin website stating that mine sounds like a normal late 36 - RC model. I guess the band across the barrel writing threw me off and I guessed it was a replacement and my reading of Brophy made it sound like all "c" receivers were case hardened. Glad to know the gun's correct. I got a pretty good deal on it at $300 plus tax. Needs a field strip and cleaning.

S-code
03-27-2014, 10:34 PM
I have a 1948 (ser.D) 36RC--30-30--a in all blue. I believe that is the first/last year of the round/square bolt. JM stamped on the right side, which means NewHaven old plant before moving. With Ballard rifling. Hardly fired. I cleaned white packing grease out. No Frankin that's the way it came. Gorgeous Blue