PDA

View Full Version : Problem: primer stuck on decapping pin 300 blackout. Solution: Use Dillon 45 ACP die

orisolo
03-13-2014, 02:56 AM
Hi Guys,

We are operating a Dillon 1050 Super with rotary drive to form our 300 blackout cases.
We have a major problem with the primer in the deprime station coming back up.
The primer would clamp on the decapping pin will not drop, will then go back up and seat half way into the pocket. Result a major jam when the primer get stuck "under" the shell plate on the way to swagging station.

I noticed that we didn't had any of this problem with our pistol dies using Dillon Carbide die with a spring system in the die. (Dillon have a proud long explanation on their website)

After looking and checking i found that our cut off 223 brass will fit into a 45 ACP Carbide Die.
Result is not even one stuck primer for a full working day.

I made a small video to show the setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPrivOC3j4

GRUMPA
03-13-2014, 09:28 AM
I've had that happen in the past many times, seems the tip of the pin gets deformed over time resulting in stuck primers on the pin. Normally I take the assembly out and just bump it on my super fine grinding wheel and all is good again. I did the changing the decapping die in the past, but the same thing happens over time since it's the tip of the pin that gets deformed.

Now I have a set number, when I get to that point I take out the assembly and reform it with the grinding wheel..

Same thing results in problem solved, just depends on what's handy at the moment.

Atticus Flinch
03-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Not sure what brand your .300 dies are, but RCBS makes a spring loaded decapping pin for their normal sizing dies that works similar to the Dillon die.

orisolo
03-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Not sure what brand your .300 dies are, but RCBS makes a spring loaded decapping pin for their normal sizing dies that works similar to the Dillon die.
We are using LEE and Hornady dies.
I Look-up the RCBS solution and it looks similar to Dillon solution.
Judging only by looking at the photo it seams that dillon is using a bigger and larger spring so probably a more powerful one.

In either case this dies and assemblies are only made for hand guns.
I really need to find a solution for the 223 cases which have a small neck and longer body and can not be deprimed using pistol does.

orisolo
03-14-2014, 04:00 PM
I've had that happen in the past many times, seems the tip of the pin gets deformed over time resulting in stuck primers on the pin. Normally I take the assembly out and just bump it on my super fine grinding wheel and all is good again. I did the changing the decapping die in the past, but the same thing happens over time since it's the tip of the pin that gets deformed.

Now I have a set number, when I get to that point I take out the assembly and reform it with the grinding wheel..

Same thing results in problem solved, just depends on what's handy at the moment.

That's a great point, i never tried it before.
Ill give it a shot on the 223 brass that gives me hard time.
Flattening the tip simple enough to try.

I tried in the past to grind the pin to be thinner which didnt really help.
Thank you Grumpa

MTSWAGER
03-14-2014, 04:23 PM
I have had the same problems with 223/556 and 9mm brass. I found that rounding the tip and a light polish job on the pin make them not stick to it anymore.