PDA

View Full Version : Hey Oregon guys : )

Just Duke
03-13-2014, 01:30 AM
I just found out I'm suppose to buy a day pass or a yearly pass to access National Forest in OR. I'm also at the Southern end of the state in case anyone is asking.
What's up with this garbage?

Recreation Sites Where Day Use Fees are Charged http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev2_027003

Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
Colville National Forest
Deschutes National Forest
Fremont-Winema National Forests
Gifford Pinchot National Forest
Malheur National Forest (no day use fees charged)
Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
Mt. Hood National Forest
Ochoco National Forest (no day use fees charged)
Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests
Olympic National Forest
Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest (no day use fees charged)
Siuslaw National Forest
Umatilla National Forest
Umpqua National Forest
Wallowa-Whitman National Forest
Willamette National Forest

Just Duke
03-13-2014, 01:32 AM
Is there an off road permit also?

Duckiller
03-13-2014, 02:34 AM
Just because the land has always been owned by the Federal government and maintained with your tax dollars you think you should be able to use it for free?

Just Duke
03-13-2014, 02:37 AM
Just because the land has always been owned by the Federal government and maintained with your tax dollars you think you should be able to use it for free?

I don't know but it seemed to do OK for the last 10,000 years without some trust baby, pot smokin hippie college kid come GMU manager telling me I have to pay now. I pay more in property taxes than most in NY would ever think of paying also.

6bg6ga
03-13-2014, 06:16 AM
Its just another attempt to squeeze just a little more out of you.

elk hunter
03-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Duke,

Since the "Echo Bigots" have cut off nearly all access to timber for logging in Oregon there are few logging or mill jobs any more, consequently the USFS has no money from the sale of timber for the local economy and are now improving areas for the tourist's that much of the state relies on for their living to replace logging. That is where the entry fee business came from. You do not have to have a pass to access much of the forest, just designated recreation areas.

If you manage to get to Central Oregon, Bend specifically, shoot me a PM, if we're around I'll show you the Deschutes National Forest and the high desert, you won't be disappointed.

crazy mark
03-13-2014, 10:24 AM
If you happen to draw a doe/spike deer tag you can't hunt in the willamette National forest. You might upset some Bambi hugger.

Just Duke
03-13-2014, 10:37 AM
I just got this from another member that understands gov gibberish better than myself so it looks like I'm good to go.

That is not what it means. You misunderstand. "Recreational site" refers to maintained camp sites and parking areas at trailheads. Those are maintained and the day use fee pays for the maintenance. Many folks consider "camping" as being in a campground with kids screaming, dogs barking, loud music, TVs blaring, lots of drinking and a "ranger" supervising everything to be communicating with nature. Some even expect Yogi Bear to show up...........

You can "access" the regular National Forest lands in Oregon w/o paying a fee.

Just Duke
03-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys.

xacex
03-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Yes, I just drive up, and hunt without a pass. Go somewhere like Timberline to ski, or recreation area like Browns Camp expect to pay a fine if you don't get the pass. I try to stay away from those places anyway, and spend most of my time in private timber, or BLM land out in the coast range. Might need to get a pass this year for myself. The area I hunted elk this year is spotted with national forest land, and camping sites. I like to let out some sasquatch scream every now and again near the campsites to scare away the californians.

Just Duke
03-13-2014, 01:46 PM
I like to let out some sasquatch scream every now and again near the campsites to scare away the californians.

Be careful my mother in law will hear you and make you her new boyfriend. We have a few pics of here here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?215428-My-Mother-In-Law-has-gone-missing-in-Puget-Sound/page1

Artful
03-13-2014, 03:47 PM
I like to let out some sasquatch scream every now and again near the campsites to scare away the californians.

:bigsmyl2:

:drinks:

xacex
03-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Be careful my mother in law will here you and make you her new boyfriend. We have a few pics of here here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?215428-My-Mother-In-Law-has-gone-missing-in-Puget-Sound/page1

Ohh, hate to get mounted by that! Its fun to go by the campsites an hour later and stick my head out the window. I ask "did you hear that!" This place is so full of squaches it is a wonder no one has shot one yet. Tillamook forest is too wild for out of towners. Even experienced hunters disappear for no reason. I'm still hunting for Japanese bombs from WW2 when i'm out there. Hate to step on one. You can hear the water on the fire as they kill it to leave.

mpbarry1
03-13-2014, 08:56 PM
I can see charging at improved camp grounds like jubilee lake. but the unimproved vault toilet thing puzzes the **** out of me. one thing i guess it does do is keep the meth heads and tree worshippers from squatting at the trail heads. but still, i dont pay em. i just park out of the "designated area"

knifemaker
03-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Xacex, your Sasquatch scream must of been more of a squeal then a roar as you failed to keep those Kali people out of your state. I have visted areas in Oregon where 50-75% of the residents are ex-Kali folks that retired and moved to your state.
I'll let you in on a little secreat that us Northern Kali guys have been keeping to ourselfs. We have encouraged our liberals from the Bay area and L.A. to move on to Oregon as being a better place to take their liberal views instead of moving to our N. CA. areas. So far we have been very sucessful in moving a lot of liberals to your state. Treat them nicely, and they will return the favor by raising your taxes, fees, and curtailing your right to hunt.

xacex
03-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Lol, you get clipped and tell me what happens to your roar.Ya, what can you do. Next thing you know "In and out" will push out the"Burgerville mafia." Saw we got a Del Taco up in vancouver, and now Five guys. I see it everyday driving down the road. There the ones swerving as they yack on the phone sipping snickerdoodle lattes on their way to do palates. Rural Oregon is pushing back some now, and screaming in the ear of our elected officials. We have several on our side still. Thing is most of those Cali folks only last two years before they realize it is an uphill battle, and it rains all the time. Once moss grows on the motorhome they leave and move into your neighborhood claiming they are Oregonians. ;-)

Just stay away from portland where they congregate and you will be fine. Once they "vacation" out at the coast that is my playground and I will do everything I can to make them uncomfortable.

knifemaker
03-15-2014, 02:08 AM
Portland is not the only place those liberal Kali people moved to. Try any place on your coast, and the Springfield-Eugene area is loaded with them. No they do not slip into here as Orgonians as they already know that their voting has put us #1 in taxes and that is the reason they are leaving after retirement. One of the reasons your homes sale prices went skyhigh as they were used to Kali prices and did not dicker on asking prices in Oregon.

quilbilly
03-15-2014, 12:41 PM
You can always wait until you are 60. Then its a freebie. I have one. It is the fee to trespass on state forest and park lands in Washington State that makes me cranky (It is called a Discover Pass). It is not cheap like the federal fee. The good news about the federal lands in the national forests is that not all the access points require a permit - only the most crowded ones which I never go near anyway.
On the state lands (where the best deer hunting is in my neighborhood!!), there is a loophole. The trespass fee is only required on the state timberland blocks of over 1000 acres which means there is a lot of free access if you know where to look.
If you are headed up into my neck of the woods - send me a PM and I will give you an idea where you can go without the fee. I have a collection of maps showing locations public lands in detail down to plots as small as 10 acres.
If you want to really get mad, don't read the following: The state senator who really pushed fees for use of Washington State parks and state lands for recreation said "I don't want the state subsidizing any form of recreation. It is a distraction to the people from serving the state." I was in the hearing room when he said it as part of a bill to ban all forms of recreation on state waters - no kidding, even canoeing (that bill failed to get out of committee).

FrankG
03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Don't think theres a use permit for Winema but there is a RV permit for 4wheelers/MC use.

fatboy
03-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't know but it seemed to do OK for the last 10,000 years without some trust baby, pot smokin hippie college kid come GMU manager telling me I have to pay now. I pay more in property taxes than most in NY would ever think of paying also.

But Duke, your not yet up to your fair share, apparently!!!

Just Duke
10-17-2015, 12:57 PM
BTT for updates