PDA

View Full Version : 30 Carbine Ammo

jumbeaux
03-12-2014, 10:30 PM
I'll be darned but I couldn't figure out where to post this...if it needs to be moved please do so. I have asked this many moons ago and cannot remember the answer. I have several hundred rounds of 30 Carbine ammo...most is WWII vintage plus some '50s-'60s era reloads...most of it is in need of a good clean on the case and bullet...reloads are soft point...factory is FMJ...had thought about buying a vibratory media tumbler but read somewhere that it was not advisable. So any ideas...guess I could hand clean with a cloth and some brass polish ? I would appreciate any recommendations...thank y'all very much...

rick

Le Loup Solitaire
03-13-2014, 12:07 AM
You can try #0000 steel wool and it will do a good job. It will take a while and is boring work...good for while in front of the TV or listening to a dull conversation. Or try doing 10 a day and eventually it'll all get done. LLS

Scharfschuetze
03-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Look for the Lee case holder designed for use with a power drill. Then just get the right aluminum shell holder size and use the drill to spin the cases while using the Quad O steel wool. It'll save time and sore hands.

DLCTEX
03-13-2014, 02:46 AM
We have thoroughly discussed the adviseability of tumbling/vibrating loaded ammo and many members, including me, do it with no problems, as do the factories. I agree with getting the Lee case trimmer and spin the cartridges to clean them with steel wool or a pot scrubber, then polish.

Larry Gibson
03-13-2014, 10:58 AM
I'd vibrate/tumble the ammo also. With a good media and some cleaner added they should be shootable in 30 - 60 minutes. I use cheap rice and Frankford Arsenal's cleaner. The ammo doesn't need to be bright shiny new looking. Just clean will be plenty good enough.

I load lots of .30 Carbine on my Dillon 550B and because of the tapered case the cases are lube (even with a TC die). I tumble the loaded ammo 20-30 minutes after loading in sawdust to remove the lube. No problems with powder breakdown and as mentioned it has been thoroughly test.

Larry Gibson

lefty o
03-13-2014, 02:13 PM
We have thoroughly discussed the adviseability of tumbling/vibrating loaded ammo and many members, including me, do it with no problems, as do the factories. I agree with getting the Lee case trimmer and spin the cartridges to clean them with steel wool or a pot scrubber, then polish.

what factories tumble live/finished ammo?

John Allen
03-13-2014, 02:34 PM
I have done the drill spinning myself with scotch brite pads it worked great on some old 6mm remington ammo I had.