PDA

View Full Version : Load For .44 DEWC

alamogunr
03-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Back when Lee 6 cavity GB's were going strong, I got a mold for a .44cal. DEWC. It has set on the shelf all this time. As cast it weighs 195 gr. Does anyone have a good load for this boolet? I would like to try it out in a couple of .44 Specials.

The only loads I have found have been in Lyman's 2nd cast bullet manual. One WC was listed, 429348. It's weight was listed as 180gr. Starting load of 5.0 gr. of Unique and max load of 8.5 gr. I'm trying to stick w/Unique since I have a lot of it.

I think that 5.0 gr of Unique to start w/ the DEWC and then go to 6.4 gr for a personal max of Unique would give me a rough idea how it was going to perform. Anybody have different ideas?

I don't plan to load a lot of these, just curious.

ebner glocken
03-12-2014, 07:43 PM
6.0 bullseye works well for me in a magnum case. Within 50 yards prints very well out of my guns.

Ebner

Deep Six
03-12-2014, 10:06 PM
I've used 5.0 Bullseye in Special cases with a 185 gr WC. Shot nicely out of my flattop.

blackpowder man
03-13-2014, 07:14 AM
I have used that boolit in 44 special with unique and found accuracy in the range you are going to try. I think mine shot best around 6 grains, but you have the right idea starting at 5. It always takes alittle more unique than I expect when shooting target type loads in the 44 or 45 colt.

Dale53
03-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Using the Group Buy 200 gr dbl ended W/C, shot in my Smith 624 (6½" barrel) I get an average chronographed velocity of 878 fps (.44 Special cases, of course, 5.0 grs of Red Dot and crimped in the provided crimp groove using Federal 150 LP primers).

Accuracy is excellent (under 1" at 25 yards off a rest). I have since dropped the load to 4.0 grs of Red Dot (not chronographed) for quicker recovery when shooting timed and rapid fire.

This bullet and load (either load) is a fine edible small game load. If close I shoot for the head and if not close, I shoot "through the slats". This gives a greater "kill zone" and yet does not damage meat. The heavier load would also make a better than decent anti-personel round with it's wide meplat.

FWIW
Dale53

alamogunr
03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Went to the range today just to get out in the sun. I only had 5 rnds w/5 grns of Unique and 5 rnds w/6.4 grns(didn't have time to load more so decided to try the heavier load).

The 6.4 grn load shot better. The 5 grn load was all over the paper plate. The 6.4 grn load stayed in about 4+ inches. About all I can do with anything off hand.

I'm going to load up some more over the next week or so and work in the 5+grn to 6.4grn range. I'm going to try Red Dot too.

It is funny that both Handloader and American Handgunner have articles about wadcutters as a self-defense boolet. Not that I'm ready to drink that kool-aid, but it is interesting. I was more inspired to try wadcutters by the thread here about shooting 75K in a Model 27.