PDA

View Full Version : santas been good to me

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2007, 09:16 PM
got a fairly healthy back pay check for all the taxes theyve been taking out of my check that they werent suppose to be because of comp laws so about a week ago i picked up a marlin cowboy 4570 and its going to clements for a barrel wacking and case hardening a interchangeable front sight on blade trinium and some more things. Then today santa ordered me a new #1 in 4570. Id give santa a good firm pat on the back if his back wasnt so sore.

madcaster
12-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Congradulations lloyd,
Money is nice,but I want to see you get to feeling healthy again.Best wishes to ya Buddy:drinks:
JS

Bass Ackward
12-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Lloyd,

Ha! If you thought your back is sore now, wait'll you get that 45-70 up and cranking. :grin:

mroliver77
12-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Geesh Lloyed,
I got a dress shirt and a toaster oven. I'll just have to grab some vicarious pleasure from your reports on the new toys. Jay

monadnock#5
12-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Santa put a nice RCBS 44-250-KT in my stocking. I wouldn't have known what to ask for if you hadn't made a post on that square groove design.

Let me know when Santa's back is mended so that I can join the celebration!

NVcurmudgeon
12-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Frannie Claus was very good to me. I found a c. 1979 K-38 in easily NRA Excellent condition at a gun show in August. I checked wth SWMBO and she said. "We really can't afford it right now, but buy it and let me hide it until Christmas." Also, she surprised me with a digital 25 lb. capacity scale that weighs to 0.1 oz. Now I can get exact weights on all my guns and weigh out components of alloys very close. That was a "someday" wish list item that I had forgotten about. Makes a guy glad he opted for the electric mascara applicator on her new wheels!

armoredman
12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I got the smiles on my wife and childs' faces. Priceless. Oh, and I got a flu bug. The gift that keeps on giving.

BruceB
12-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Some weeks back, Curmudgeon and myself were trolling-around in the new Reno Cabela's store. Outside the Gun Library was a mobile rack of used rifles and shotguns, among which was a rather forlorn Marlin 336SC (1/2 magazine) in .35 Remington. It dates from 1950.

I musta mentioned it when I got home, because...it was under the tree this morning! A new set of RCBS dies accompanied it, too. Now, I must have at least a few rounds of brass stashed-away here somewhere...

As Bill and I first saw it, the rifle displayed light rust inside the muzzle, and quite a bit of surface rust all around the receiver. The bore cleans-up perfectly, and all the surface rust came off with xxxx steel wool and gun oil, VERY lightly applied. There is no pitting visible anywhere. The rifle now shows just a good bit of perfectly-honorable handling wear on the blue areas, and the wood looks great.

I don't have much in the way of .35 moulds, but my 358156 will get me started, I reckon. Any other recommendations? Is there a .35 equivalent to the wonderful .32-170 RCBS, which seems to satisfy ALL its users?

Another caliber!

onceabull
12-25-2007, 07:02 PM
BruceB:Congrats on the new find..It's just like X$$#X@ Cabela's to save the really good stuff for the NW Nevada opener.. That rifle would have been on the rack all of about 30s after I came up on it. I have it on high order authority that there is a gent in Pleasant Valley,Nv. who had already got lease payments on my 358627 poured,and you two have a permit as of now,to run a trial of those in this new treasure pending NCBS '08 if you see each other sooner. Otherwise the RCBS 200 FP or Saeco #351 should do you well..:mrgreen: Onceabull :???:

MT Gianni
12-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Nice gun Bruce. The Saeco 352 is on the heavy side at 245 gr but the RCBS @200 gr is a good shooter in most. Gianni

Bullshop
12-25-2007, 07:53 PM
I think that counter part would be the RCBS 35/200 fngc. I have seen only praise for it myself included. BTW I have a Marlin 35 Rem about the same vintage, pre micro groove and no D&T and that RCBS boolit just makes things too easy with that rifle to the point of being boreing.
BIC/BS

Rick N Bama
12-25-2007, 08:19 PM
well I got a piece of luggage to use in our travels to visit with our son & his family and a 100 dollar bill. The $$$ will be put in my piggy bank since I'm in saving mode for a new revolver (S&W M625JM).

Merry Christmas to all.

Rick

Kraschenbirn
12-25-2007, 09:52 PM
No new hardware but found a 32" carbon-fiber cleaning rod in my stocking and a new Chrony under the tree.

Bill

cohutt
12-25-2007, 10:17 PM
got some nice things, my 70-something year old mother gave me this (picked it up at an antique auction for a couple bucks) "as something interesting for my desk".

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/misc031.jpg

NVcurmudgeon
12-26-2007, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE

I don't have much in the way of .35 moulds, but my 358156 will get me started, I reckon. Any other recommendations? Is there a .35 equivalent to the wonderful .32-170 RCBS, which seems to satisfy ALL its users?

Another caliber![/QUOTE]

Bruce, it looks like Onceabull has licensed us to run some 358627 Lymans out of his mould. How about I just pass the mould on to you next visit? I already have over 800 dividends for Bill. 358627 is a 214 gr. or so SWC. It looks like a 150 KT RCCBS mould on steroids. Your production rate is a bit higher than mine, anyway. In addidtion I have a goodly supply of NEI 220358, which is a 213 gr. RN very like (IIRC) Lyman 358213, which is Lyman's standard .35 Rem. boolit. I'm guessing your various .38s have endowed you with sizing dies. I know you, like me, manage to size boolits from a jillion moulds with about five or six top punches, so you should be able to use a generic SWC for the 627 and a generic RN for the 220.

NVcurmudgeon
12-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Bruce, also have a sample's worth of Cobb Mtn. Mac's RCBS 35-200, which should be a fatter clone of your .32 Spl. mould.

Lloyd Smale
12-26-2007, 06:24 AM
thats the bullet!!!!
Bruce, also have a sample's worth of Cobb Mtn. Mac's RCBS 35-200, which should be a fatter clone of your .32 Spl. mould.

charger 1
12-26-2007, 07:04 AM
I got the smiles on my wife and childs' faces. Priceless. Oh, and I got a flu bug. The gift that keeps on giving.

You son of a gun you out did me. I didnt get the bug

floodgate
12-26-2007, 01:00 PM
cohutt:

That's a Modern-Bond mould. Read me the numbers and letters off it and I can identify it for you. An H&G sprueplate will fit it, and "Texasflyboy" may have an extra. You'll need to work that broken stop-screw/hinge screw out, though - but note that these are locked by screws coming in from the front (or back - it varies) of the mould blocks.

floodgate

cohutt
12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
cohutt:

That's a Modern-Bond mould. Read me the numbers and letters off it and I can identify it for you. An H&G sprueplate will fit it, and "Texasflyboy" may have an extra. You'll need to work that broken stop-screw/hinge screw out, though - but note that these are locked by screws coming in from the front (or back - it varies) of the mould blocks.

floodgate

Thank you for the info. FOund some more info searching the modern-bond name. Heck, i may have to buy another rifle, one to fit to the bullets if i get this one working again.

Bret4207
12-27-2007, 08:34 AM
My Santa girls got me that Fuji S700 Digital Camera I was looking at. Now I gotta learn how to use it. My little guy got me a "Love you Daddy" coffee cup and thats always going to be special. Things were tight this year, but everyone seemed happy, and thats what counts. Here's a prayer that this coming year bring health, happiness and prosperity to us all!

twotrees
12-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Wife got laid off the Tuesday before Christmas, but got a call yeaterday for a higher paying job, not too far away.

We have spent most of the Vacation week at the Hospital with too old friends (One 98 the other 92) and ferrying their familys back and forth. Both seem on the road to getting better (As much as they can).

So from your lips to God's ears Health, Wealth and Happyness to everyone here, for the New Year.

TwoTrees

brshooter
12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Santa aka SWMBO brought me a Dillon RF-100 primer LR tube filler w/small rifle conversion. That will speed up filling primer tubes for the Star, Dillon 550 and the RCBS Auto Prime. A friend had two new in the box Oehler 35P Chronographs. I told him I would take both of them as a buddy wanted the other one. I called him before Xmas and he said he only had the one left and I could have it. Sent him the cash, recieved it and put it away, wondering what I was going to tell the other guy as I could only get one 35P. Xmas morning, opened one of my packages and Santa got me another 35P. Come to find out, my wife heard me talking to the guy selling and called him back and bought first one of the two for me for Xmas. What a girl, they don't come any better. Now I can let my buddy have the other 35P, like I promised. Now I will be selling my Oelher 33. Jon

Lloyd Smale
12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
sure hope it works out for you. I hate to see anyone loose there job. Especially this time of year.
Wife got laid off the Tuesday before Christmas, but got a call yeaterday for a higher paying job, not too far away.

We have spent most of the Vacation week at the Hospital with too old friends (One 98 the other 92) and ferrying their familys back and forth. Both seem on the road to getting better (As much as they can).

So from your lips to God's ears Health, Wealth and Happyness to everyone here, for the New Year.

TwoTrees

Lloyd Smale
12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
pm sent

RBak
12-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Come to find out, my wife heard me talking to the guy selling and called him back and bought first one of the two for me for Xmas. What a girl, they don't come any better.

I agree, nice lady! Good story!

A similar thing happened to me a few years ago.
I was buying a rifle from a guy who lived 20 or so miles from where I lived. He was at my house, I was at his house, he called me, I called him, he kept asking $400, and I kept saying $300...after all, he had approached me, asking if I was interested....you know how it goes. I wanted it, but I didn't want him to know I wanted it....and I honestly thought 4 bills was a little too much.

It was fairly near Christmas when I finally decided to give him at least $350. After all, he had mentioned he might consider $350.
Well, that's when he told me it had been sold....sorry, he said, "you're just too late. I done got my full asking price"!

Man! I was fit to be tied! And, I was not real kind over the phone.

Well, Christmas day, that very same rifle was all boxed up and under the tree....I recognized it immediately, and I thought, "Oh, Crap!...the child bride has done went and paid to much for that rifle...or, maybe she bought it from someone else because something was wrong with it".

Well, It wasn't "bad" in fact it was great, but she wouldn't tell me what she had to pay, or where she got it, untill about eight months later. All this time I am cussing her, and Bill, the guy who sold it...(under my breath, of course).

Then one day she opened up and told me the whole story...she had bought the gun for me very early in the game....back when I had just started the part of "dickering", and making a fool of myself.... and she had only paid $275!!

Those two have had many a laugh at my expense! And, Bill has become more than just an acquaintance.

Crow doesn't taste near as bad until you have to eat it on both ends...then it's really bad...down right embarassing!

You can always leave it to SWMBO! Ya simply gotta love 'em.

Russ...