PDA

View Full Version : 32SWL bunnygun

rking22
03-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Been working on thus off and on for several years, Still got to blue it and make the forend , but it shoots pretty good so far. Finally warm enough to play with it.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2ljm1qt.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2vw9seo.jpg

Based on a Yildiz 410, had to buy a 2nd 1 cause the 410 was too much fun. Thats a 340 barrel from junk-bay and a scratch built monoblok. Skinner sight.

Reg
03-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Now that I like. Nice work. How does it do on paper ?

rking22
03-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Yet to shoot any real groups. Just mounted the Skinner and checking my math for adjustment range. I shot some clay piegons at about 30 yards today playing with load level and checking chamber fits. The chamber is tight with .313 bullets , .310s fit well. I have a M31-1 but no real interest (presently ) in sharing loads. This is to be a 32 long rimfire type woods walking rifle. No ear plugs needed. I have a lee 6 hole for their 93 gr 1R for this project, The pic is with a Seaco 140 gr coyboy bullet. Kinda like that too. The little Yildiz has the best fit and finish for a 125$ NEW gun. This weighs 4 lbs with the rifle barrel,3 lbs in .410. I actually hunt some with the other one(.410), rabbits and doves. Shoot skeet singles with it too, so darn cute!

FLHTC
03-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Nothing over a 22 caliber for small game in this state of confusion. :roll:

gewehrfreund
03-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Wow, I didn't know you PAers had that restriction. We don't even have that restriction up here in NY. If anything, our great state goes too far the other way; you can hunt deer and bear here with ANY centerfire (i.e. a 17 Hornet is legal)! But a .410 with slugs isn't. Pretty asinine.

Oh yeah, nice little rifle! Those Italian folding shotguns are nice, I had a 20 ga. Beretta that I really liked.

John Taylor
03-12-2014, 10:36 AM
I made up at least 5 barrels for a Berreta. I think the smallest was 32 ACP and the largest was a 45 ACP. The folding shotgun/ rifle is a good place to start.

FLHTC
03-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Wow, I didn't know you PAers had that restriction. We don't even have that restriction up here in NY. If anything, our great state goes too far the other way; you can hunt deer and bear here with ANY centerfire (i.e. a 17 Hornet is legal)! But a .410 with slugs isn't. Pretty asinine.

Oh yeah, nice little rifle! Those Italian folding shotguns are nice, I had a 20 ga. Beretta that I really liked.

Yes we can use 22 centerfire for deer but nothing larger for small game. One of the questions on a hunter safety course I enrolled my daughter in was, "Why shouldn't you drink Pepsi out of a can when Turkey hunting?" Seriously, these guys in the game commission must be on medication. The answer was, "Because the turkey has a blue head". But it's not metallic with white letters. lol They're idiots

rking22
03-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Tn requires rimfire for small game. No requirement for non game (starlings, armadillos ect) not to mention pine cones and sycamore balls! Still a bunny gun in spirit :)
Another is 4 inch barrel on handgun to hunt. My 9mm auto is legal, my 696 is not!
Worse than that is cannot legally shoot a turkey with my flint squirrel rifle! Driving me nuts!
Update , weight is actually 4.12 lbs and it is 37 inches long. Presently working on the forend wood. Hope to shoot some groups tomorrow morning.

Outpost75
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
You were smart to start with the most tiny, light weight gun you could find. The joy in the whole bunny gun or rook rifle concept is to have something you can walk with all day, with no more effort than carrying a fishing pole. Too many of these project guns need wheels and a guncarriage with your pony to pull them along. More than 5 pounds defeats the purpose. Less than 4 pounds is more difficult to shoot well, but is still delightful in the woods.

Well done young man! I can smell squirrel ragu' with garlic and olive oil, with a garnish of pancetta and black pepper, served with Chianti! In bocca al lupo!

gnoahhh
03-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Nicely done! I like it.

DeadWoodDan
03-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Very interested in this project!!! WOULD love to have a light single shoot to company my six shooter. Please keep us updated on your progress.
DWD

Nobade
03-12-2014, 07:56 PM
I agree, its a neat little package. I HAD a Ruger #1 in 22 Hornet, but didn't like it because it was heavy.

Haha - I know where that #1 is now! It is a very heavy Hornet rifle, should be better with some metal removed from the inside of the barrel. This little folding shotgun, though, is way cool. That looks like really nice work you have done on the monoblock and barrel setup.

-Nobade

rking22
03-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words and interest. I tried several approaches to by woods walker ( Rook Rifle was first on the list ). It kinda went to the back burner when I found my first Rem M25 in 32-20. But I had the frame and barrel so it had to get together! The frame is Aluminum, my understanding is 7075T7. It is chambered for 3 in .410 so a head thrust of no more that 38 special std pressure or 32 HR Mag was my target. I wanted light and handy , my first 32HR was an Encore. It went down the road after a few months, just too heavy. It feels very much like the M25 carbine ,hope I can get it shooting as well.
I'll never fess up to shooting any small game with it , but some imes squirrels can become pests and they taste really really good! Outpost , gonna have to try that reciepe!

3leggedturtle
03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Nice nice nice. Did I mentioned its nice. How do you like the 140 Cowboy bullet, and what have you shot them in. How much does the 410 kick in a 3 pound single? thanks Todd

John Allen
03-13-2014, 01:42 PM

This is one of those things that drive me crazy. My poor hornet never gets to go out and play.

rking22
03-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Hi Turtle , I like the 140 cowboy bullet,, have shot it in 30-30 ,30 REM, 308 , and this rifle. The nose casts a little small (.299) for my guns bore but it shoots very well on 6 gr Reddot in all of the regular 30s I have tried it in. Not so well much faster. The 410 recoil is noticable only when compared to a M42 or tubed skeet gun. Its there but not an issue for young folk. I sometimes use it to introduce beginners to skeet. I know idiot stick ect ect , but they hit the incoming targets with it just fine and thats all I let them shoot with it. Now Frank Thompson (2012 London Olympic team mate to Vincent Hancock) shot it one day and never missed a target , and they were international speed. I suspect he now has one himself!
Excess650,Acadamy Sports is the importer for US sales. The one in Franklin TN had 2 last time I was in there. Do you ride a Cowasokie by any chance , if so he 650 twin is a favorite of mine, else nevermind :)
I shot it a little today while adjusting sights , about 1 1/8 inch at 38 yards ,no bench just sitting on the front porch. By the way, never file on a dovetail when you are still half assleep :(
Aside from that little diversion ,it shot both 140 and 94 meister into the same group on the same charge of 231.

rking22
03-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear that, seems they would not turn down a sale , times must be good for some anyway! If I hear of one for sale I will PM you.
I have about quit riding myself ,may sell the K75 this summer myself. I have had it since 1991 and have not been able to commit to selling it!
Going to size some 94 gr Lee 1R tomorrow and try on 2.5 of reddot. This is the reason I got that mold.

Outpost75
03-14-2014, 09:38 AM
The Heavy Metal. 30 Cal. Light Ed Harris Plinker in the group buy section would fill the bill for this.

rking22
03-14-2014, 05:01 PM
I been looking at that quite a bit , How do you think it will work for a 32-20 in Reming M25 , would it feed? It feeds the Lyman 113 gr 32-20 bullet great (can't remember # )

Outpost75
03-14-2014, 07:16 PM
I have a single-cavity of similar shape I have been shooting in Walther PP and CZ52 auto pistols.

I would not think the Remington 25 would be a problem.

LIMPINGJ
03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
rking22 did you have to work on the trigger to make it suitable for your rifle use?

rking22
03-15-2014, 07:03 PM
The trigger is a shotgun trigger. It probably could be made better. I shoot DA revolvers a lot and really don't worry too much about the trigger, it's no bench gun! It is heavy but smooth ,probably 5 to 6# , not gritty . I would compare it to an SKS but single stage. IT will never be a Rekord trigger :)
Another thing about this little shotgun is the fireing pin is already bushed and small enough as is. I would not run anything with high enough pressure for he fireing pin to be an issue. On 38 special case dia keep it to 38 special level no more than +p ,with the 32 case dia can go 32 HR easily, but not into the 327 federal level. At least I would not go there.

Old Dawg
03-16-2014, 12:56 PM
John, If you made the barrels do you know who did the conversion? I have several little Beretta, a clones, folding shotguns and these small lightweight plinkers, small game guns have always attracted me. I am not a machinist so I would need the work done.

I have a .32 Magnum and a .277 Hornet on H&R actions but they are just too big and heavy. Once had one of the old H&R .410 on the small frame but foolishly sold it. I am at the stage of life now where I don't have a need for more than a single shot and a low powered one at that.

Outpost75
03-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Eye Candy Alert - Beretta Folding Shotgun With 26" .45 ACP barrel, my "Blooper" Gun

H&R .32 Bunny Gun

John Taylor
03-18-2014, 10:42 AM
John, If you made the barrels do you know who did the conversion? I have several little Beretta, a clones, folding shotguns and these small lightweight plinkers, small game guns have always attracted me. I am not a machinist so I would need the work done.

I have a .32 Magnum and a .277 Hornet on H&R actions but they are just too big and heavy. Once had one of the old H&R .410 on the small frame but foolishly sold it. I am at the stage of life now where I don't have a need for more than a single shot and a low powered one at that.

I did all the work except the blue. The Beretta belongs to Ed Harris, he sent it back a few times for different calibers. It was a fun project and got me started on a few for myself. Got a Cadet that I made into a 32 S&W, a Rem 581 going to 32 ACP and an old 410 that will be made into something someday.