PDA

View Full Version : size/lube hole blocking with HVAC tape

40-82 hiker
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
I posted a question a few weeks ago about closing off holes in a sizing/lube die, and received a number of suggestions about closing off the holes with lead shot or wire solder. While I was looking to see if I could limit the lube filling the BB on my .45 200gr. SWCs, I was told blocking the second row of holes would not help. Indeed, it did not. However, that is not the point of this post.

I did, however, stumble across a method of blocking holes that is MUCH easier than using lead shot or solder wire, and it appears it is known in this venue, but maybe not widely (?). So, I am posting this in the hope it helps. I finally did find reference to it, but only after the fact.

I used HVAC tape to wrap around the row of holes in my Lyman sizer/lube die, and it has worked beautifully for 1,200 boolets using the heater (the glue would be heat resistant at least to some point, I would think). I used acetone to clean the die, and using clean hands I wrapped the tape around the die four times. The only change to the tape at this point are small dimples over the holes, and the end of the tape on top is wrinkled a little. I could have wrapped more times, and will do so next time I do this, if ever. I burnished the tape and the edges very carefully after wrapping the die.

I'm not taking credit here, just informing those who might not know about the HVAC tape for closing holes in dies. It seems much easier to me than using lead, IMHO.

The dimples in the photos show up exaggerated, as they truly are very shallow.

99281 99282

ph4570
03-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Using shot takes me about two minutes. Place the shot and tap in with a brass punch. If the tape works easier for you then that's good.

40-82 hiker
03-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Using shot takes me about two minutes. Place the shot and tap in with a brass punch. If the tape works easier for you then that's good.

Some time in the past I would have had the lead shot, but not now. The shot might be easier, but lacking that and the brass punch the HVAC tape was easier for me. Probably won't have to do it again anyway...

What size shot do you use? I'll sacrifice a shell when I get the chance...

Wayne Smith
03-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Some time in the past I would have had the lead shot, but not now. The shot might be easier, but lacking that and the brass punch the HVAC tape was easier for me. Probably won't have to do it again anyway...

What size shot do you use? I'll sacrifice a shell when I get the chance...

When you do another use of loose shot is to put it in an old medicine bottle, add a quarter teaspoonful or so of graphite and shake it up (after replacing the lid!). Use this to lube case necks when resizing brass.

6bg6ga
03-12-2014, 08:07 AM
I am not a fan of the shot. That is why I have each die made for the bullets I run thu it. I had a burr the first time I used shot in a die and sent it back to lathesmith and he fixed it. I still have several dies with multiple holes and have not used them. I will give your method a try. If it worked for you without problems I won't have an issue either. Thanks for this nice bit of info.

Walter Laich
03-12-2014, 09:52 AM
That looks like a simple fix--I'll give it a try next time I need to 'adjust' the number of holes

Maven
03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
The heavier teflon tape (for gas fittings) also works very well and is easy to apply.

Calamity Jake
03-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Been casting/sizing/lubing with Lyman RCBS and Saeco lube sizers for over 35 years,
never seen a need to plug holes, that's what the depth adjusting rod is for.
Your not going to stop lube from getting on a BB boolit as it has to pass by that first hole.

MT Chambers
03-16-2014, 11:39 PM
I agree with Calamity, only the Star needs to have holes plugged, I don't know what you guys are trying to do?

40-82 hiker
03-17-2014, 01:04 AM
I agree with Calamity, only the Star needs to have holes plugged, I don't know what you guys are trying to do?

I was just trying an experiment to prove that I could, or not, decrease the amount of lube on the BB. Of course I could not. In the process, I was just curious to see how good the HVAC tape would work to block holes. It's doing me no good, but no harm either. So, I'm leaving the tape in place to see how long it lasts. Maybe the idea will help someone with Star sizing dies.

MT Chambers
03-19-2014, 10:33 PM
The Star has tapered holes which hold the lead shot in place, they are built that way....the Lyman/Rcbs has straight holes as they are built that way so that the "I" or adjusting rod will block the necessary holes.

6bg6ga
03-20-2014, 05:48 AM
Lead shot is a pain to use in my opinion. I blocked the holes in ONE die and that resulted in me having to send the die back to Lathesmith. I view ANY effort to block the holes by a different means as a positive thing. Evidentally a member has come up with a better way of doing it so why are people having an attitude about it? The attitude "thats the way we have always done it" needs to be changed. Lets look at things in a different light? If tape works I'm all for it.

cbrick
03-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Maybe the idea will help someone with Star sizing dies.

Nope, put a single wrap of tape on a Star die and you'll not put the die into the lubrisizer. They are intentionally a very snug fit & thus don't leak. Only takes me a couple of minutes to remove & change around shot in the holes for a different boolit, works extremely well and is no hassle, inconvenience or aggravation at all.

Rick

40-82 hiker
03-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Well, looks like the tape is pretty useless for all involved. It does not help the Lyman dies, nor can be used for the Star dies. Oh well...

I have learned from this, though, which is one of the great benefits of Castboolits.

Thanks to all.

6bg6ga
03-21-2014, 05:24 AM
Nope, put a single wrap of tape on a Star die and you'll not put the die into the lubrisizer. They are intentionally a very snug fit & thus don't leak. Only takes me a couple of minutes to remove & change around shot in the holes for a different boolit, works extremely well and is no hassle, inconvenience or aggravation at all.

Rick

Hate to tell you this but you are wrong. The Star/Magma die body in the lube hole area measures .680 and the top and bottom where it is snug measure .750

Plenty of room to put some tape over the holes. I tried it with my one die with multiple holes and it works fine. No problem getting the die into the machine because there is no tape in the way.

cbrick
03-21-2014, 07:06 AM
That's true, didn't think of that. Still see no reason to mess with it though, the shot works great & only takes a couple of minutes to properly set up for a particular boolit.

Rick