PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight for puma 92

Bullshop Junior
03-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I would like to put a peep sight on my puma 454. What are you guys using on yours? I don't want a tang sight.

pirkfan
03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Skinner peep sight. Replaces the semi-buckhorn sight in the barrel dovetail slot

BCRider
03-11-2014, 08:42 PM
If your gun uses the bolt mounted safety then someone makes a rear peep that replaces that safety.

I've found that peep sights work best when they are at the rear near my eyes. The one that mounts on the rear dovetail of the barrel like the Skinner is certainly an improvement over the nasty buckhorn but it's not as good for sharpening those "old guy eyes" as having a smaller aperture located back near the shooter's eyeball.

If your 92 doesn't have the safety so you can take advantage of it then the forward located Skinner or drilling the side of the receiver for a side mounted Marbles or Lyman are the only options. I suppose you could mount one on the bolt with suitable drilling and tapping. But if you're going to drill and tap then it may as well be on a part that can't move around like the bolt can. Although a slick and small little receiver style peep mounted to the bolt would sure look trim and unobtrusive. If you choose to go that way something like their Lo-Pro option would only require drilling and tapping ONE hole in the bolt back near the rear. Or for something that looks a little more solid perhaps consider this Skinner OCTAGON BARREL SCREW MOUNT Sight adapted by a smith to arch the lower surface to match the top of the bolt or to mill a flat spot on the top of the bolt to accept the sight base and using two screws to mount to the bolt. It's the brass base with black dovetail insert shown mid way down the page of Henry sights. I can't seem to link the picture to here.

shadz
03-12-2014, 10:55 AM
i use the skinner dovetail it works great i did take aperture out

jmort
03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Steve's Gunz sells his peep site which replaces the safety. I am going to try the Skinner peep dovetail which he makes to fit for the Rossi 92 specifically. Slightly wider mounting set-up. Waiting for 16" .38/.357. I think it will work real good.

Bullshop Junior
03-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't really want a bolt mounted one. I guess I should have been more specific. I want one that mounts on the side of the reciever. I don't mind drilling and tapping. I would like one likr the old lyman where you can hit a button and slide it up for a quick shot.

My eyes can see the old sights fine. I just want something fast for hunting hogs in the brush.

jmort
03-12-2014, 11:19 AM
It sounds like you should check out the one from Steve's Gunz. I am going with the Skinner. Either way, you will get fast target acquisition. As noted by post above, removing insert makes it a ghost ring which speeds things up.

Bullshop Junior
03-12-2014, 11:22 AM
It sounds like you should check out the one from Steve's Gunz. I am going with the Skinner. Either way, you will get fast target acquisition. As noted by post above, removing insert makes it a ghost ring which speeds things up.

I built one like Steve's and didn't like it..

rintinglen
03-12-2014, 11:52 AM

I have an old Redfield on mine, my brother has a newer Williams on his. Two 6-48 holes in the proper place and you're in business. Remove the bolt, position the base where you want it, mark the hole centers carefully, then break out the drill press, set it on the slowest speed if its not already there, then a #31 drill and a LEVEL platform on which to place your work and Bob's your Uncle. Tap carefully, using plenty of tap oil and frequently backing out the tap to clean the chips out. Install the sight and carefully check to insure that the screws don't intrude into the bolt raceway. Once that is done,thoroughly clean the action to remove any stray chips, put it back together and all should be well.

bearcove
03-12-2014, 11:21 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?69939-Peep-sight-on-Puma-92

Look here