PDA

View Full Version : Manual Powder Dispenser

GMW
03-11-2014, 05:55 PM
I am presently using a old RCBS and a very old Herter's dispensers. They work great when I finally get them set for the powder charge. My issue with them is that it takes a long time to get them setup. I think the RCBS might have a charge cup for rifle loads and most of my loads are for light cast loads with pistol powder. The Herter's is just old and it is a bear to set up. I feel like getting a new dispenser that is easy to change settings and keep the other two set for common charges. What is a good manual charger that I can change settings and get back to reloading without so much trial and error?

Ickisrulz
03-11-2014, 06:11 PM
How about a micrometer for your RCBS?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/654966/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-micrometer-adjustment-screw-large-685-diameter

jonas302
03-11-2014, 06:12 PM
You might be able to get the micrometer head for your rcbs I sometime measure the protrusion of the screw with my caliper after its set and record it for quickly getting back into range The lee is surprisingly fast to get set the screw is marked in cc's correspond with the lee dipper chart and has a place on my bench for stick powders

country gent
03-11-2014, 06:21 PM
There are several good measures available on the market today. The rcbs uniflow is good with the mic conversion powder type and setting can be marked down and repeated next time very closely. Redding bench rest and other measures with the michrometer thimble also allow for this. Lymann 55 has a settting scales and will allow setting drum very close at start up. Harrels are very good and click adjustable again read scales and mark down ( 20 clks/uniuque will be very close to the same with that lot number). The standard rcbs with threaad adjustment and lock nut. measure the amout of thread out to boss with calipers and mark down this will repeat the setting very close. A smaller cavity in the measure for light charges will be easier to adjust. I believe rcbs has a "pistol" cavity drum for the uniflow. Another lightt load that is easy to repeat is the little dandy measure by rcbs But a set of rotors /drums for it and mark what size rotor number gives the load you want. Look around some and see what looks feels right to you. The interchangable cavity types are very useable and if you really want to fine tune the next size bigger with a layer or 2 of tape in the cavity or next size smaller polished out are also option, be sure to mark these as # and a b or c so you know they are modified. Always remeber to keep everyting as simple as possible. In your manuals or data and on the load cards mark the setting drum number down so you dont have to try to remember it

Riverpigusmc
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
I have a Little Dandy...however, rotors are now over ten bucks apiece. So, I bought an adjustable rotor from a guy who goes by Bailey Boats for 40 bucks, which included the adjusting tool. Works for me

shooter93
03-11-2014, 07:31 PM
I like the Redding 10x for pistols. It's for throwing small charges and works well with Unique. I write down the micrometer number on my load card for each caliber (a 3x5 card I keep in a small file box with load information) so it's easy to dial to very close each time.

GMW
03-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Great stuff. I'm thinking about the Micrometer Adjustment screw for the RCBS. Until I get one, I will use my caliper to measure threads.
Thanks for the help!

ColColt
03-11-2014, 09:57 PM
I've never found any as reliable and accurate as the old Ohaus DU-O-Measure...had it for decades. I liked it so well, I found another on ebaby last year and bought it.

catskinner
03-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I've used a Redding for years with perfect satisfaction. Very good repeatability.