PDA

View Full Version : Organ pipes and casting

ohland
03-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Watching Discovery channel or suchnot... heard the lead / tin mix is 50 / 50 for the big pipes. Nearer my God to thee...

;-)

boog
03-11-2014, 09:49 PM
The churches I know of that have an organ like that would probably never get rid of it. Would be nice to have one that gets scraped!

Dusty Bannister
03-12-2014, 01:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_pipe

I believe I have read a thread on this forum as well. Look it up?

DonMerlin
03-12-2014, 10:48 PM
I watched that show as well. A very good explanation why you don't want to fool with a car battery!

geargnasher
03-12-2014, 11:22 PM
We covered this in great detail several years ago here. The contemporary American organ by William H. Barnes, pp. 29-30, supplies an excellent synopsis of the various organ flue and common-metal compositions.

Incidentally, before destroying flue or voice components, please contact Quimby Pipe Organs or another reputable organ company as there are many components, such as certain reeds, that are literally priceless.

Gear

Bigslug
03-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Nearer my God to thee...

From HBO's The Pacific:

Eugene Sledge: So what do YOU believe in?

Robert Leckie: I believe in ammunition.

lancem
03-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Friend gave me one years ago that came out of a tear down and all the tubes sat out back for years waiting their turn in the pot, the kids used to play strong man smashing them. A year ago I turned them into ingots, guess I'll have to get some tested and see what kind of alloy I really have. At the time I never thought much about what they were made of, obvious that they were lead but at that time all I cast was low power pistol and just about anything worked well for that.