PDA

View Full Version : Gluing on a Recoil Pad.

brstevns
03-11-2014, 11:41 AM
What type of glue should I use to glue a rubber recoil pad onto a shotgun butt? Liquid Nails maybe?

AlaskanGuy
03-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I would think that its best to screw it in, but if you really need to glue it, try the gorilla glue.... Be prepared to wipe it off as it is an expanding glue, but great stuff...

AG

KCSO
03-11-2014, 12:15 PM
If you absolutly have to glue it on Acra Glass will hold the best. Now what about getting the stock OFF some day? Right off hand I cant think of a stock that you might not have to take off the recoil pad for something even if it's to add weights or a recoil reducer.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Assumption - there are no stock bolts or other mechanical access through the butt stock (most bolt actions, Marlin and Winchester lever actions, etc.) most good epoxies work well. Be sure to remove any grease, wax or other manufacturing residue (mold release) from recoil pad and butt of stock, scuffing with sandpaper after wouldn't hurt.
Surgical rubber tubing works well as a clamp (Brownell's, Amazon).

gnoahhh
03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
The thing is, even when using epoxy you are asking the glue to hold on end grain which is always a recipe for failure eventually. Were I to epoxy a recoil pad onto a stock that doesn't require access to a through bolt (and any good epoxy will do- you don't have to use Brownell's stuff), I would first inlet a block of wood into the end grain with epoxy, with the "long grain" facing the butt pad. Even at that you are depending on a cross-grain interface between the filler block and the grain of the stock, but a good epoxy should hold things together ok since it's not real 'structural' in nature. That will provide a good basis for your glue joint.

Cmm_3940
03-11-2014, 12:43 PM
I'd use the Brownell's stuff, based on my experience using Arcaglas Gel for bedding. Use release agent or vaseline anywhere you wish kept clean, clamp it good.

brstevns
03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
I would think that its best to screw it in, but if you really need to glue it, try the gorilla glue.... Be prepared to wipe it off as it is an expanding glue, but great stuff...

AG

Tried this on a different stock and it did not hold!

brstevns
03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
How about any of the Super glues?

Wayne Smith
03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
How about any of the Super glues?

Probably not. They have little shock strength and almost no lateral or sheer strenth.

trainfever
03-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Can I ask why you would rather glue the recoil pad on instead of using screws which is the correct way? Are the screw holes stripped? simple fix. It would be easier to help you fix things if we knew more of the rhyme and reason. If it were because you just wanted to glue instead of screw, epoxy would be best bet although I wouldn't recommend it, I'd still go with screws.

Char-Gar
03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Back in the day, I was taught to use the screws and some Elmer's Glue for good measure.

Bullshop Junior
03-11-2014, 06:19 PM
I've epoxied on rifle sights with plastic welder epoxy. That's good stuff. It held up to some heavy recoil and bashing around in my truck..

waksupi
03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
I would recommend screws. I put on a good sealer coat of finish first.
If you try to glue one, I doubt it would stay. The butt pad wouldn't expand and contract like wood will with moisture. The difference will make the glue loosen over time.

Ben
03-11-2014, 07:21 PM
I do this for a living, see my Web site below .

Don't try anything but Brownell's Acra glass if you want it on permanent.

Screws ( only ) will allow you to remove it if necessary. Most pads come with a pair appropriate for the job.

Ben

brstevns
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Looks as if I should just use screws. Thanks everyone

lefty o
03-12-2014, 12:56 AM
definately use screws. easier, and more durable.

brstevns
03-12-2014, 11:05 AM
definately use screws. easier, and more durable.
Will do!