PDA

View Full Version : umc 45 govt. ammunition

benelliman
03-11-2014, 05:52 AM
Hey guys: I was recently given a full box of ammunition marked on the base of the cartridge: UMC 45 GOVT. I know it is early 45-70 ammunition. I can only find an old photo on the internet with no information. Can anyone tell me what I have and it's age and value? Hopefully, someone with a healthy knowledge of early 45-70 history can help. The box itself is brown cardboard with no lettering or labels. I'll try to post a picture in a few days. Thanks for any and all input. benelliman

w30wcf
03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
UMC ammunition was produced until 1911, after which it became REM-UMC. If it is a pretty plain box, it is probably worth $20-$30. A few years ago I won a such a box at an auction for $25.

If it is more colorful like this box,
http://www.soldusa.com/rainworx/detail.asp?id=2222&bigpic=0#img

it sold for $63.....but that was back in 2006.
http://www.soldusa.com/rainworx/detail.asp?id=2222

w30wcf

benelliman
03-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the input. The box is plain cardboard. No label or printing anywhere. What significance is to : UMC 45 GOVT. Headstamp. Could it be pre 45-70 loads?? I've sent an email to the historian at Remington. Curious to find out what he knows. I can find NO INFORMATION on the 45 GOVT. Headstamp anywhere. I'll let you know what I find out!!

searcher4851
03-11-2014, 12:52 PM
:I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the 45-70 was designated 45 GOVT when adopted by the military back in 1870 something.

ReloaderFred
03-12-2014, 01:13 AM
The Union Metallic Cartridge Company was purchased by Remington and they became the same company in 1912. Here is a note from Remington's history:

On August 9, 1867, the Union Metallic Cartridge Company was incorporated. It was particularly noted for its development of metallic cartridges. It and its successor company subsequently developed the first paper shotshells successfully manufactured in the United States, the first primer adapted to smokeless powder; the first battery cup for best quality paper shotshells; the first cartridges for automatic pistols; the first standard high-power smokeless cartridges for big game autoloading rifles; the first .410 bore gauge shotshell in the United States; the first nickeled primer; the first oil-proof automatic pistol cartridges; and the first completely wetproof loaded shells, including top wad, crimp and body.

Hope this helps.

Fred

w30wcf
03-12-2014, 07:53 AM
The 1906 UMC catalog shows both the .45-70 and .45 GOVT with the same loadings, the only difference being the headstamp. It would seem that UMC used the 45 GOVT headstamp to provide a bit of competition for the arsenals that used only that headstamp. Eventually that headstamp was made obsolete and only the .45-70 remained.

A check of early Winchester catalogs shows that they also offered cartridges with both headstamps.

w30wcf