PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounts for the No. 4 Mk 1?

fatelvis
12-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Looking for any experiences, good or bad, with B-Square's scope mount for the No. 4 Mk 1. Reading other threads on these rifles is tempting me to try scoping one of mine, and see what it can REALLY do for groups! Thanx!

oksmle
12-24-2007, 04:46 PM
fatelvis .... I have B-Square mounts for the #4, #3, 91/30, & 1903 Spgfld. For a time I only had one scope that was changed out for whichever rifle I was shooting. That got to be a pain, so I eventually traded for enough scopes so that now I'm able to leave one mounted in each mount. Found out early on that it took at least a 6x before I noticed any difference in the size of my groups. Now all four mounts have 12x scopes mounted in them. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier. I've often wondered what the difference would have been if I had scoped the rifles at the beginning of load development, & probably even more important, done all my shooting from a front sandbag only, while pulling the rifle back into my shoulder with my trigger hand while stabilizing the forearm with the left hand.
Once your gun club friends know you have a mount it will stay in a "loaned out" condition.
oksmle

DonH
12-25-2007, 07:37 AM
I too am curious about the experiences of others with the B-Square mount for the #4 Mk1.
One gent I know has/had one but he said it did not hold zero well enough to suit him. He is a lover of milsurp rifles as well as an accomplished high-power competitor. Being a physics professor also helps explain his views on things like precision.

This is a matter of great interest to me as I love my #4 and can only shoot now with the aid of a scope of substantial power.

robertbank
12-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Where would one get one of these mounts?

Take Care

Bob

threett1
12-25-2007, 10:47 AM
If yall don't care how pretty it is go to 303British .com and check out the homemade mount he has there for the 4.

Freightman
12-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I am glad to hear that they are quality as I won one for my M1 Garand on Gunbroker right before Christmas
Go to there web site to order or Brownells has some of them.
The one for the M1 Garand list for $123 I got it from Gunbroker for $42.10 with shipping. So you might try to see if there is one that you want there.

HABCAN
12-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Decades ago I had a few those very high B-Squares on No. 4's and Garands and an M1A1: they would NOT hold zero no matter what I did to lock 'em down. Recently, I picked up a ($50 used) S&K Instamount for my No. 5, put LOW Millett rings on it (with a soft mallet!) blue-locktighted the screws and put up the big BSA 3x9 mildot scope. It is absolutely rigid, I love it, and I recommend the S&K to anyone thinking of scoping milsurps.

Razor
12-27-2007, 12:19 AM
No experience with B-square, but I did hear about them not holding zero..
A friend had a 4 mk1 with a CADTECHNIK setup and loved it.. so I got me one..
And I love mine..
Besides, I think they look better than B-square or Iron Elite..
Just my 2 cents worth..
With 123gr condom reloads, I get 5 rd grps under an inch at 50 yds with an old Weaver K3-1 scope..

Razor

curator
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I have one of each and the S&K mount is far and away the most sturdy. The B-Square isn't bad but can get out of line with a bit of rough handling. The CadTech mount has some merit but is VERY easy to knock out of line. I found that I had to sight in the rifle almost every time I took it out. The S&K also mounts the scope low enough so you don't have to add a cheek rest to the butt stock.

hs45/70
01-01-2008, 03:10 PM
You can purchase the B Square mounts for # 1's and for #4 /5 from Wholesale sports mailorder in Calgary Alberta. Regardless of which model you want they cost about $80 cdn and come with scope rings too.

Have had one on my #4 Longbranch sporter in .303 Epps for about 400 rounds and it still maintains it's zero.

longbow
01-01-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been looking too and have so far found:

- B Square: http://www.sirmailorder.ca/search.php

- S&K: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12461&title=NO-DRILL%2c+NO-TAP+SCOPE+MOUNT

- ATI: http://www.marstar.ca/ac-optics/mounts-bolt.shtm

- Cad Tecknik: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1502&title=ENFIELD+No.+4+&+No.+5

I thought the S&K looked the most solidly built from the pictures - so thanks curator, I guess that made up my mind!

Longbow

HollandNut
01-01-2008, 07:46 PM
My 4-1 had the SK and it was fine

pbbutz
01-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I have mounted the ATI on my #4, have not shot it a bunch yet, but seems to be holding fine. I got mine off of ebay for $20 or so, NIP. Seems like a quality piece. I would buy another.

robertbank
01-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Just ordered a S&K mount. Soon know how well my old girl can shoot.

Take Care

Bob

fatelvis
01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Just looking at the photo of the SK, I dont see the big difference from the B-Square. Does it attach more securely, somehow?

wiljen
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I have an SK mount on one of my long branch #4s and I can vouch for them. It is a very solid setup.

Tumtatty
03-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I have the S & K mount and it works fine.

However I can't get my scope to aim low enough for my cast boolits! I guess it has something to do with the lower velocity of my loads. Jacketed bullets I an get to touch at 100 yrds. However at 5o yrds I have to aim over the top of the paper just to get them to hit.

I have the scope cranked down as low as I can but it is still way to high. What should I do?

swabbie
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
tumtatty...
you need to shim ur scope.I had the same problem with my #4 Mk1with cast bullets.shim material is available or whatever you have.doesn't take much.you only shim one end. on mine it was under the rear mount.hope this helps.Also zero your elevation on the scope before you start,so you don't run out of adjustment travel.

mike in co
03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I have the S & K mount and it works fine.

However I can't get my scope to aim low enough for my cast boolits! I guess it has something to do with the lower velocity of my loads. Jacketed bullets I an get to touch at 100 yrds. However at 5o yrds I have to aim over the top of the paper just to get them to hit.

I have the scope cranked down as low as I can but it is still way to high. What should I do?

burris makes rings with offset inserts......you can tilt the scope in the rings and still not bend the or mark the scope tube.
it is the way to go..and not expensive.

mike

the cheap scope mount is a pc of angle iron screwed to the side of the recvr, and add a weaver base and rings. or notche the iron for weaver rings....

mike

45nut
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
An excellent suggestion Mike, the Burris Signature series.

TAWILDCATT
03-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Centerfire Systems,inc has scope mounts for #4 and mauser.
mauser:$19.95
#4:$39.99
carbine:$7.99
I have the #4 and it works well.:coffee:--[smilie=1:---:Fire: