PDA

View Full Version : finally! pretty well set up....i think!

TasunkaWitko
12-24-2007, 02:35 PM
guys -

it looks as though i'm pretty well set up, thanks, to friends, family and a small raise that i recently received at work!

for dies, here's how things are looking:

.30/30 -

- set of wells dies, including sizing and seating die (thanks, varmintcaller!)
- lee factory crimp die

- lee deluxe die set, including collet neck-sizing die, full-length sizing die and dead-lenght (non crimp) seating die
- lee factory crimp die

7x57

- lee pacesetter die set, including sizing die, seating die and factory crimp die

- forester "bonanza" die set, including sizing and seating dies (thanks, rob1!)
- lee factory crimp die

i've also got the basics:

powder scales (rcbs and hornady)
dipper set (lee)
powder funnel (lee)
digital caliper
case trimmers for each cartridge (lee)
primer pocket brush cleaner (rcbs)
primer pocket blade cleaner (lee)
chamfer and deburring tool (lee)
hand priming tools (lee and rcbs)
case neck brush (rcbs)
case lube (lee and rcbs)
powder trickler (rcbs)
case tumbler (lyman)
bullet puller (frankford arsenal)
manuals (lee, lyman, hornady and wells, plus the "load book" for each cartridge)
presses (herters and ch - thanks, soggy shooter and cb900f, respectively!)
shell holders - see below.

also, as everyone knows, i have the lee loader for each cartridge - wouldn't be caught dead without them!

as for components, i've got things pretty well figured out to get started, i think:

powder:

imr 4064
imr 4831
r15
varget

primers:

cci br large rifle (400)
winchester large rifle (200)

brass (appx 200 of each cartridge above, mostly winchester but also others for comparison)

bullets (a good variety for comparison, including hornady, sierra, nosler and speer)

the only thing left that i can see to get are shell holders for the presses i have. i have the lee shell holders, but they will not fit the herters or (i think) ch press. i've got a herters #21 shell holder (thanks, wingmaster) and also found a source for the herters shell holder that will fit the .30/30 - also, i just found a good source for the two ch shell holders, so next payday i will be getting those. i considered getting the adapters both for herters and for ch - and i most likely will after the new year. it makes sense to have them so that everything can be used across the board without complication. of course, being an historian, it's also kind of nice to have the "original equipment" for both as well!

a lee perfect powder measure or rcbs uniflow would also be great and will be considered for a future purchase.

aside from the ones mentioned specifically, many friends from the forum helped with various items here and there, and of course provided invaluable advice - i want to thank them all.

from where i can see, all that's left is to get presses bolted down and to get going!

anything else i need?

Forester
12-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Sounds like all you need is to make time to use all those new toys!

Catshooter
12-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Did I miss your casting section?

Cat

kodiak1
12-24-2007, 07:08 PM
What in the world do you use all that stuff for anyway????????????????????

Just kidding looks like a fine assortment of reloading tools. From here on in you will add more and delete a few that you find don't work for you.

Get reloading now Ken.

12-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Sounds like all you need now is a bench to put everything on.

pumpguy
12-24-2007, 10:54 PM
I did not see a lead furnace, ladle, turkey fryer, ingot molds, boolit molds, or anything else to allow you to cast. At this rate, you are not hand loading, you are assembling.[smilie=1::castmine:

TasunkaWitko
12-25-2007, 02:12 AM
hey, guys! you're right! casting equipment IS missing!

i've collected a few things over the years and intend to get started seriously this spring or early summer, when i get the hang of press-and-die reloading. i've been using the lee loader for a long time, but folks have finally convinced me that i "need to step-up" to press-and-die. i'll use the time in-between to prepare an inventory of what i have and what i need. a friend in florida is going to send some cast boolits to try in my .30/30, so it looks like the case mouth bell tool will be first on the list!

as for the bench, i am hoping that it will take care of itself - now that we've got our own home, rather than renting, i can establish a permanent work area. the upstairs of this house used to be an apartment back in the 30s and 40s that was rented to sugarbeet workers; i've selected a room that used to be the kitchen. lots of permanent counterspace and cupboard areas for everything, i hope!

Powderpacker
12-25-2007, 10:47 AM
i've selected a room that used to be the kitchen. lots of permanent counterspace and cupboard areas for everything, i hope!
We're going to need pictures when you have things in place .

mooman76
12-25-2007, 01:10 PM
guys -

anything else i need?

There is always going to be something else you need! Do you have load trays? That's kind of a basic and they are cheap. :drinks:

Swamprat1052
12-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Mooman is right, there is always something else you will "need." When I first started reloading it was to save money. Now its to save money to buy more equipment with. I dont think I am saving much money but I am shooting more and it dont cost as much as it used to. I just dont count what the new toys cost in the price of boolits now.

But I am having a ball and a man has got to have something to keep him in the poorhouse, else we'd all be rich.

Swamprat

IcerUSA
12-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Besides that Lee deburring tool I would also suggest a Lyman or RCBS as they have a little less angle to them . I use both as I like the Lee for the outside deburring and my RCBS for the inside so as to keep as much brass there as I can .

YMMV

Keith

ozbornm
01-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Sounds like you are well on your way. It's addictive