PDA

View Full Version : The swaging press I am almost finished building.

Buckrun
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
I have been reading a lot of posts on building swaging presses here. With the help of Wonder Wolf I got started on building my press this winter. I am not a machinist but have been learning. This has been a great project so far. It is by far the most complicated project I have done.

The next step will be making dies. So it is back to reading all these posts on this. Hope you like my build.
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKZI3S-crA0&list=UU7o10DAI4NAaWA3CJWoKCjA

Reload3006
03-11-2014, 07:42 AM
Great Job.

Buckrun
03-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks

AbitNutz
03-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Awesome. I love the fact you leave in the learning curve mistakes and fixes. I think I get more from that than anything else.

just bill
03-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Buck,
PM sent.

Bill

PbHurler
03-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Great looking press!

I'm not a machinist and always wanted to learn to machine. It's so cool to see people using the tools and the knowhow to use the tools, to produce things like this.:cool:

Kind of like Norm Abrams, he's probably got every woodworking tool made; but he's got the knowledge to know how to use them and the techniques involved, and that knowledge is what I'm truly envious of.

Great job!

Buckrun
03-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. I am not a machinist myself. I just have always wanted to be able to do my own gunsmithing so when I had the chance to buy a older guys home shop I jumped. Now I am trying to learn how to use the equipment. It has been a struggle. Just when I think I am starting to get the hang of it I destroy something I have been working all day on. That happened today. I get to do it all over tomorrow. Kind of bummed right now.

bullet maker 57
03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Just keep practicing. If you didn't make mistakes you wouldn't be human. I am in the same boat as you are. I am not a machinist. There are things that are needed and can't be waited for. So I try and make them myself. I have screwed up more parts than I want to admit to. Good video by the way.

Randy C
03-18-2014, 04:01 AM
Thanks for sharing

plus1hdcp
03-19-2014, 10:34 PM
I agree with all the above posters, thanks for sharing. Great video and more importantly, awesome press. I am confident you will enjoy your press.

Buckrun
03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Thank you everybody. I am having a ball working on the press. Next will be dies. I am spending a lot of time looking at those posts here lately.

just bill
06-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Hey Buck,

What ever became of the press?

Just curious,

Bill

Buckrun
06-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Working on .22 rf de rimming dies this weekend. I did get the rims removed. After blowing through the base of the cases on several. Went back to the lathe and reworked the punch and the shape of the de rimming die base. Not happy with the finished de rimmed tube. I ordered a drill bit and reamer tonight. Will get back to work on it this weekend. If the order comes in time.

HITEK REDNEK
06-30-2014, 06:28 PM
All I can say is WOW THAT'S AMAZING GREAT LOOKING PRESS. Very detailed video, I've always wanted to buy a lathe but no place to use it or the money to buy it. Again great job.

MrWolf
06-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Very impressive and nice how you talk about what you are doing. I keep saying someday...

jimbull34
07-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Buckrun,
If you use a #8 drill blank, its .199 and it works perfect for the punch for the derimmer. Task and grind a slight bevel on one end and that will cure most of the bases being blown out. You can't run the case with a totally flat punch, just cuts thru the rim. Also make sure you have enough taper to the die so that the case goes easily thru it. If the die is too "steep" its too hard to press the case thru, also another reason for the cut rims...just what I have learned from making and sell the derimmers on ebay...