PDA

View Full Version : A nice suprise..

phaessler
03-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Went to the range this morning and was gifted a nice surprise, a sheet lead tub liner from a bathroom remodel. Its pretty crusty, and actually rotted thru in a few spots , but managed trim off 6" all the way around (so far) started smelting and netted 28# of less than 5bhn ingots. There is at lease that much more but dang if it aint dirtier than sin. Going to leave it out to get rained on and drag it up and down the gravel driveway to knock some more of the plaster/cement off of it.

Pete

CastingFool
03-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Congrats! Years ago, a guy I worked with came into work, carrying a large piece of lead pipe with two traps on the ends. I asked him what he was planning on doing with it. He said "I'm gonna give it to you!" I had been using one of the lead pots at work to make ingots out of wheel weights, plumber's lead during my lunch hours. The lead pots were used to melt babbit for bearings. The boss didn't care as long as I cleaned up my mess and worked on my own time. I melted the pipe and traps later that week and ended up with 26 lbs of clean soft lead.

lightman
03-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Those kind of surprises are always nice! The last time that I smelted, my buddy showed up with a P-trap attached to a piece of 4 inch lead pipe that was about 100 years old! I've never seen another like it. Heavy rascal! Lightman