PDA

View Full Version : Tools

ncbearman
03-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I need a good set of gunsmith punches. A set or sets that will handle roll pins, taper pins etc. The smallest punch I have is a 1/16th and its not small enough for some of the above mentioned. Suggestions as to where would be my best, most economical place to find them would be appreciated. Lowes, HD, Harbor Freight have been eliminated already. Thanks.

williamwaco
03-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I need a good set of gunsmith punches. A set or sets that will handle roll pins, taper pins etc. The smallest punch I have is a 1/16th and its not small enough for some of the above mentioned. Suggestions as to where would be my best, most economical place to find them would be appreciated. Lowes, HD, Harbor Freight have been eliminated already. Thanks.

Not the most economical but this is what I use:
( And recommend )

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=grace+screwdrivers

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=grace+punch

country gent
03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Check with Graingers McMaster Carr and other macjine tool supply shops. I have a set of starrets that do just great.

trainfever
03-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I also agree with using Starrett. You can also look for General, although not as nice as Starrett, not as costly either.

Dframe
03-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Brownells

uscra112
03-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Punches for removing roll-pins have a specific nose shape, concave with a guide bump in the middle, and a size for each nominal diameter of pin. If roll-pins are on the agenda, a task-specific set makes the job a lot easier.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Hand-Tools/Punch-Sets?searchterm=roll+pin+punch&navid=4287923082

ncbearman
03-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Punches for removing roll-pins have a specific nose shape, concave with a guide bump in the middle, and a size for each nominal diameter of pin. If roll-pins are on the agenda, a task-specific set makes the job a lot easier.

I wondered about that. The pin in there now is solid, but I am sure the replacement will be a roll pin. Thanks for the heads up................so now I guess I need 2 sets of punches haha

M-Tecs
03-10-2014, 10:14 PM
http://www.mscdirect.com/ has everthing a boy could want.

uscra112
03-10-2014, 10:20 PM
I wondered about that. The pin in there now is solid, but I am sure the replacement will be a roll pin. Thanks for the heads up................so now I guess I need 2 sets of punches haha

True 'dat - using a roll-pin punch for anything else will spoil that nose shape in a hurry. Been there, done that.

ncbearman
03-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Well.......... my Daddy didn't raise no fool. The 1/16 was just a tad too big. I put it in my drill and ran it across my file was it was spinning and viola I ground it down to the correct size. Harbor Freight Chinese comes through again. Custom made gunsmithing punch. Oh and the pin was not broke just out of place. Too far over to the right.

ohland
03-15-2014, 09:49 AM

From personal experience- starting to remove a small diameter roll-pin (say a 1/16) with a standard length roll pin punch is asking for disaster. After snapping one off, I bought a set of short roll pin starter punches from Brownell's. Start to remove the roll pin with the short pin, then change to the standard length.

What you could make is a roll-pin holder to install roll-pins. Simply drill a slightly larger hole in some round stock. Beats the heck out of trying to hold the dinky roll-pin and punch with one hand, while tapping with a hammer.

YMMV.

:coffeecom

Petrol & Powder
03-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Another vote for Starrett. Brownells is a good source for those types of tools.
There are different types of punches: flat tip with parallel sides, pointed with tapered shafts, cupped tips for rounded pins, brass punches, nylon tipped punches, roll pin punches, etc.
Buy good quality tools, use them properly, store them properly and you'll never have to buy them again.

oldred
03-15-2014, 10:50 AM
You did well eliminating the HF punches, they are good for driving out wooden pegs and little else!

robroy
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM
I got my roll pin punches from MSC. I think they're Proto. They do a fine job. The pin punches I have are Wiltons both in brass and steel. I've managed to bend a few of the brass ones. Chuck it up in the lathe and trim after the bend then turn to size. If I had quick easy access to brass rod stock I wouldn't buy brass punches. Some times aluminum punches are the ticket, again best turned from bar stock.

Reverend Recoil
03-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Make your own punches. You may never have enough. The small ones are often bent or broken. Use your imagination. Think outside of the dumpster. Masonry nails and Allen wrenches are good pin-punch material. Turn them in a cordless grill while grinding them to shape with a bench grinder.

Replacement needles for pneumatic needle scalers are also good for gun pin-punches.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Pneumatic-8940159860-Replacement-Needle/dp/B003L77XYA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394988232&sr=8-5&keywords=needle+scaler

izzyjoe
03-16-2014, 06:26 PM
Plus one on that Rev. I've made a few from concrete nails, let me tell you those are hard to bend!

Frank46
03-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Also go with starret. And if you screw up the punch you don't have to buy the whole set. The ones I have are over 30 years old. If they get nicked or chipped a little work with a stone will clean them up. If broken make good center punches. Frank

dikman
03-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Another + for the concrete nails. I've made assorted punches and scribers from them (including very fine pin punches). Those things are tough!!

gmsharps
03-20-2014, 08:25 AM
While I was in the military I happened onto an old 50 cal range and picked up a couple of the tungsten cores and they make great center punches the 30 cal ones work to.

gmsharps

largom
03-20-2014, 09:12 AM
I make most of my own from old drill bits. Using a piece of round stock for the handle just drill one end for the drill bit. Drill and tap for set screw to lock punch in handle. I just use the smooth chucking end of the bit, cut the flutes off. With letter, fractional, and number drills you can have a punch to fit any hole. If the punch bends or breaks just replace with a new bit. Could buy a complete set of cheap import drill bits just to use as punches.

Larry

KCSO
03-20-2014, 09:17 AM
DON"T buy CHEAP tools you wil pay more in the end. Harbor Freight punches wil last about 1/2 of one good job. I know Midway and Brownell's prices are steep but the punches last! The alternative is to buy good drill rod and make your own. Either way 20 years donw the road you will have spent way less money. About the only imports that hold up at all well come from Little Machine Shop and they are still not as tough as good ones.

gunshot98
04-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Try Grizzly in Springfield MO