PDA

View Full Version : bore butter?

dragonfire
12-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Can you use bore butter to lube your boolit mold?

Morgan Astorbilt
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
You mean the top of the blocks and bottom of the sprue plate? I was thinking ATF fluid should work, it's designed to take a lot of heat.
Morgan

dragonfire
12-24-2007, 11:02 AM
I was just looking at some of my gun lubes and was curious if the bore butter could be used ,seems its pretty thick stuff ,but i dont know what would happen to it once it got hot ,maybe gum up,or run off on the first try with it .

lovedogs
12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
ATF is just mineral oil with additives, doubt it'll work well. After I clean my moulds to get ready to cast I put a bullet in the cavity, or a wad of TP, and shoot a light coat of mould release (graphite) on the top of the mould and on the plate. Works for me and it never contaminates the cavity. Just keep the stuff out of the cavity as it will affect the dimensions of your bullet and sometimes result in out-of-round bullets. After casting sessions I always clean my moulds with paint thinner and apply rust preventative before storing. There are many ways we handle this so you will probably get as many opinions as there are casters out there.

hotwheelz
12-30-2007, 10:19 PM
OK I have been casting for awhile and have never used lube on the spuce plate and never had an issue all but one of my molds a lee aluminum. They sometimes seem tough when I first start tho. Did I miss something should I be useing some type of lube??? I have read about the "bull shop" stuff but I havent gotten any yet.

I guess there is allways more to learn and try. Im going to be casting some tomarrow Ill try some atf see what diff. it makes.

454PB
12-30-2007, 10:53 PM
I too have read of Bullshops' great lube. I will try it someday, but I haven't lubed any of my Lee moulds in many years. I did in the beginning, just as the instructions say. I found that the carbon buildup and comtamination of the boolit cavities caused all kinds of problems. Instead, I use my sprue knocker to align the blocks as they are closed.

I haven't had a single problem with any of the Lee moulds I own since I quit lubing them.

Buckshot
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
......................The Bullshop Bullplate lube is the hot stuff to use! I can't believe how much easier they make ANY mould operate, and especially the Lee's.

................Buckshot

dragonfire
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
The only problem i'v had so far with out the lube was my screw on my sprue plate stripped out on my lee mold today ,other then that it did fine with no lube

jack19512
12-31-2007, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE I haven't lubed any of my Lee moulds in many years. I did in the beginning, just as the instructions say. I found that the carbon buildup and comtamination of the boolit cavities caused all kinds of problems. Instead, I use my sprue knocker to align the blocks as they are closed. QUOTE]

I have been thinking this myself. I lube my molds but it seems the lube really doesn't last very long and you end up with the carbon build up, or whatever the build up is. I also have got into the habit of using my sprue knocker to help align the blocks before closing my mold tightly. Seems to work out good for me anyway.

hotwheelz
01-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Well I finally got to casting today, and the ATF fluid was a big help my 6 cavity molds we easier to open as well as my 2 cavity lee molds. I wish I had found this along time ago some times it would take 2 knockes on the spruce plate { 2 cavity mold} to open it now 1 mild hit its open. If the the bull shop lube is better I cant wait until my order gets here thanks for the info guys:drinks:

freedom475
01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I tried this "once" (bore butter) as mould lube like instructions say.....As soon as the heat hit the mould the lube went everywhere....Turned the whole Lee a grose brown color and baked it to the surface......almost ruined the mould.The mould took forever to start casting (I won't say good here because its a Lee 2cav) again, and its still a nice brown.:)

Now I do not lube, just wipe oil cavs with ascetone and start casting.

I do spray the underside of the spure plat and the mould top with drop-out Taking care not to get this stuff in the cavs.....

JSnover
01-08-2008, 12:41 PM
So, would you folks say cleaning and lubing is a better option than leaving the last boolit in the mold for storage? A friend of mine just gave me a Hoch mold. I haven't used it yet but it looks pretty near mint, don't want to ruin it.

Cayoot
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
So, would you folks say cleaning and lubing is a better option than leaving the last boolit in the mold for storage? A friend of mine just gave me a Hoch mold. I haven't used it yet but it looks pretty near mint, don't want to ruin it.

Please don't leave the last boolit in!:(

As the alloy cools and shrinks (all so slightly), it leaves an air gap where moisture can (and will) become trapped. This is one of the ways to get rust in an iron mould.

JSnover
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Please don't leave the last boolit in!:(

As the alloy cools and shrinks (all so slightly), it leaves an air gap where moisture can (and will) become trapped. This is one of the ways to get rust in an iron mould.

Thanks. I doubted that piece of advice for that very reason.

randyrat
01-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Use PERMATEX antiseize.... Use it on the sprue plate screw threads, washer,alinment pins VERY lightly. Until you can get some Bullplate lube. Permatex will work, antigalling properties,can withstand very high heat and stays in place. I put a small amount on a Q-tip and then place it in these locations as mentioned.

MtGun44
01-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Buckshot is right.

Save yourself a lot of wasted time and follow his sage advise.

Bullshop lube is nearly magic on any mold. You will not believe it. Just
use a tiny, tiny amount on the top of the mold and bottom of sprue plate.
Less is better, and close the lid and don't spill it.

I know this sounds too good to be true, and 99% of the time it is too
good to be true.

This is the 1% that is true. :-D

Really.

Bill

dromia
01-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Cherished items like boolit moulds need to be cosseted and indulged, the best way to pamper your mould is to use Bullplate lube.

A happy mould makes better boolits.

Go on, get some, you owe it to your moulds. :-D