PDA

View Full Version : Which Lee Casting Pot

floydboy
03-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Currently I use a 4# Lee casting pot which I've had for years. I am thinking of getting a Lee Magnum 20# casting pot. Don't really want to invest in a bottom pour at this time. My needs just aren't that great yet. I ladle cast and am fine with this method. The reason I am thinking of going with the bigger pot is the small pot always seems to need fluxing and dross in the bullets seems to be a problem when the pot gets low which doesn't take long. I was thinking the bigger pot will make it easier to keep the ladle full of cleaner lead. Am I wrong here?

Thanks,,,,Floyd

454PB
03-10-2014, 11:44 AM
My suggestion is to get the Lee Pro-4-20 bottom draw pot. You could still dipper cast if desired, and have the option of using the bottom draw.

Dipper casting tends to increase drossing due to the constant stirring effect and introduction of oxygen. When I cast from the bottom draw pot, I flux, then leave the dross on the surface of the melt to act as a barrier. That's not possible when using a dipper.

Freightman
03-10-2014, 12:56 PM
+ on that had a 10# and got a 20# lot better, now the 10# is for dead soft only. Use the 4# to fill the 20 when you need it that way don't have to wait to reheat.