PDA

View Full Version : What to do with banged up Brass?

ShooterAZ
03-10-2014, 10:22 AM
This is 30-06 and 308 Brass fired in my M1 Garands and M1A. After 3-4 firings the brass is pretty beat up. The rims get mangled regardless of cast or jacketed loads. In the past with the 30-06 I have cleaned up the rims with a file, then used the brass in my bolt rifles. I don't have a 308 bolt gun. I would think the brass has more usefullness to it than just 3-4 loadings. I have pretty much a lifetime supply of new brass for both, but wonder what to do with the brass now once it gets banged up. Recycle? Trash? Not sure if there would be any buyer interest in such brass, the 06 is all Lake City, and the 308 is Australian AFF.

leadman
03-10-2014, 04:20 PM
List it in the classifieds here. You will have some money for it and someone will get a good buy. A picture of the brass dings would make the prospective buyer aware of the condition.
A buyer might be someone like a 3 gun shooter where he might not be able to reclaim his brass.

220swiftfn
03-12-2014, 02:03 AM
Well, if they're too far gone to ethically pass them on to someone else, take them to a scrapper for powder cash....

Another idea (not sure if this would be a valid idea for you) get a Schuster adjustable plug for your rifles and you can close them off and use them as manual pull bolts.

Dan

ShooterAZ
03-12-2014, 12:38 PM
I'm sure they have some life to them left, I just don't have the time to spend fixing all of them. If I had a 308 bolt gun I might.

sidecarmike
03-12-2014, 12:43 PM
My son has a friend who takes all of my orphan brass. I haven't met him, but am told he is disabled and makes jewelry and "steampunk" clothing and accessories to sell. He even uses steel cased stuff.

Pb2au
03-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Like the others said, you could simply list it with an "as is" type disclaimer on it. Someone might have the patience to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Other than that, send it off to the scrap yard!

Hang Fire
03-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Odd, I have shot re-reloaded rounds several times in my M-1 and M1A rifles and never experienced anything like you have described.

wallenba
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
There might be something you can do to buffer the recoil to keep that from happening. Ask a gunsmith. I know what you mean though, I've gotten spent LC brass dinged so bad on the rim, they won't go in a shellholder, or go in straight. Frustrating. Maybe we need a specialized tool invented to fix them.

StratsMan
03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Maybe we need a specialized tool invented to fix them.

Hmmmmmmm... there are enough once-fired cases that won't fit (or difficult fit) in shellholders that this might be a handy idea... gonna play with this idea... maybe get one of the machinists on this forum to build something...

ShooterAZ
03-12-2014, 02:46 PM
There might be something you can do to buffer the recoil to keep that from happening. Ask a gunsmith. I know what you mean though, I've gotten spent LC brass dinged so bad on the rim, they won't go in a shellholder, or go in straight. Frustrating. Maybe we need a specialized tool invented to fix them. Yes, it is the rims that are getting messed up. After 3-4 firings they get hammered, and won't go back in the shellholder. They are fixable, but it's a PITA.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Just do not be selling that brass you know has had multiple firing "as is" or whatever other deceitful words you like without disclosing the truth of their actual firing condition, and if you do not know, or didn't count, junk them for salvage. That is the ethical thing to do.

Some here on S&S will sell you once fired 223 Lake City, that has already had the primer crimp removed but comes to you with a fired primer. Once fired my ACE!

Another example, Federal 308 brass is a bit softer than say, Winchester 308s and three firings at max loading levels is most likely to give you loose pockets. Want to take a chance letting that kind of pressure loose in your gun? How about that fellow's gun you sell them to? Normally it is max loads, or pressure problems, in semi autos that is tearing up, one way or another, the rims on things like 308, '06, and 223. Shooting cast bullets at lower pressures is generally noted for long lived brass....it is pressure that is the problem, with case rim extractor damage or pocket expansion.

BTW you can tune things like AR extractors by deburring edges and bolt faces of extractor cuts to minimize rim damage. Problem is that lots of "once fired" is floating around having been full fired full auto where the timing or parts are a bit off and they tend to damage rims. Look at them you can see. The Garands I shot for years gave long case life without rim problems for full power loads.......but you have to use powders within a close range of burn rates .....or you get rim damage.

Please....NO AS IS UNTRUTHFULNESS !

BvT

ShooterAZ
03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
I would never advertise as once fired Mr. Trollwhack. I actually may have found a good home for it. Check this out http://welcomehomemontrose.org/freedom-ring-project/

Baron von Trollwhack
03-13-2014, 09:54 PM
There you go. A very good use for the brass. I've heard of this before. Great ! BvT