PDA

View Full Version : Scuff in blasted stainless

charger 1
12-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Just wondering if anyone's ever found a way to touch up a shiney scuff on bead blasted stainless without doing the whole gun?

Morgan Astorbilt
12-24-2007, 08:46 AM
When I used to re chamber stainless guns such as a Win. Mod. 70 Classic, from 7MM Rem to 7MM STW, I would remove the "Rem.' portion by flattening with a 1/4"punch, mask off the area with masking tape, and hit it with my sandblaster, using sand, not beads. It would match the rest of the barrel perfectly, and I would then stamp in the STW. I think you could do the same on the scuff, just try it in an inconspicuous area first, such as is covered by the grip on a handgun, or stock on a rifle.
Morgan

charger 1
12-24-2007, 08:51 AM
When I used to re chamber stainless guns such as a Win. Mod. 70 Classic, from 7MM Rem to 7MM STW, I would remove the "Rem.' portion by flattening with a 1/4"punch, mask off the area with masking tape, and hit it with my sandblaster, using sand, not beads. It would match the rest of the barrel perfectly, and I would then stamp in the STW. I think you could do the same on the scuff, just try it in an inconspicuous area first, such as is covered by the grip on a handgun, or stock on a rifle.
Morgan

Would I be right in saying a fairly coarse sand?

Morgan Astorbilt
12-24-2007, 12:07 PM
I use the local sand we get here(NC) to mix with Portland cement to make mortar and concrete.
Nowhere near as fine as the beach sand up in New York's, Jones Beach, Rockaway or Coney Island. I mention them, because the sand at Myrtle Beach seems much coarser, so I guess beaches vary.

The sand sold by the bag for sandboxes should work, and won't have to be sifted.
Also, dug sand has sharper edges, and is better for removing rust and paint than beach or river sand, which from constant rubbing, more resemble beads, but either one works for touching up stainless.

DON'T use anything like aluminum oxide blasting grit, it really removes some metal!
Morgan

No_1
12-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Morgan, I know you are not insinuating using it but for those that may, I think I would consider the salt content of beach sand before I try it for sandblasting anything metal.... ;)

R.

I use the local sand we get here(NC) to mix with Portland cement to make mortar and concrete.
Nowhere near as fine as the beach sand up in New York's, Jones Beach, Rockaway or Coney Island. I mention them, because the sand at Myrtle Beach seems much coarser, so I guess beaches vary.

The sand sold by the bag for sandboxes should work, and won't have to be sifted.
Also, dug sand has sharper edges, and is better for removing rust and paint than beach or river sand, which from constant rubbing, more resemble beads, but either one works for touching up stainless.

DON'T use anything like aluminum oxide blasting grit, it really removes some metal!
Morgan

Morgan Astorbilt
12-24-2007, 02:21 PM
No, I was trying to give a reference point as to gaging grit size.
Morgan