PDA

View Full Version : Best Hunting Boolits for a .45 Cal Airgun

tdale4
03-10-2014, 05:29 AM
I recently purchased a Sam Yang 909S and I am having the power tune done to it to bring it up to 300FPE

I am planning on hunting hogs with it (50 yards and under) and was hoping to get some recommendations on a good boolit I can cast on my own for hunting purposes

From what I have read it needs boolits that are .456 in diameter and be relatively soft lead between 5 and 10 bhn, other than that I was thinking something from 200 to 300 grains in weight

Would a Flat nose be better than a hollow point?

Anyone have experience with casting hunting boolits for .45 Airgun

Thanks in advance

Pakprotector
03-10-2014, 08:06 AM
If you only have 300 FPE on tap, I'd go for 180-200 gr...300 FPE with 300 grains is only 670 fps...

Look for lightweight target semi-wad-cutters...perhaps a hollow pointed 452374? I think Lyman is still offering this one. Custom HP'd 452460 might also be an option...or do these things take .457 boolits?
cheers,
Douglas

HollowPoint
03-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Back when I used to own this same SamYang model I used the .45 caliber Lyman 200 grain Devastator cast bullet. I made a new hollow pointing pin for that mold so that I could adjust the depth of my hollow point cavities.

With a shallow cup-point the weight went from 200 grains to about 218-220 grain. I got good hunting accuracy with these bullets cast from Stick-On Wheel weights. I never shot at anything over 75 yards with it. Mine wasn't modified in any way other than a new home made cocking lever. The factory cocking-lever was made of some type of alloy that just seemed easily breakable.

At the time I owned it the only thing I could legally hunt with it were rabbits.

HollowPoint

Butcher45
03-11-2014, 10:09 PM
I suggest avoiding hollowpoints on hogs (or anything bigger than a coyote, for that matter).

Good to see you here, Tdale!

tdale4
03-13-2014, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

I ordered a few of the 185 Gr and the 200 Gr bullets from Mr. Hollowpoint to test out, but I was thinking a WFN type bullet would be better for hogs. I'm open to try anything, because all my experience hunting has been with powder burners like my 6.8 SPC. I know hunting with an Air Rifle will be vastly different.

The Sam Yang is only a temporary Air Rifle until I can get my Ranger .45 from XP Airguns, once I get my Ranger .45 I'll be giving the 909S to my son, but I have no idea how long the back order is on the Ranger .45

I was looking at Accurate Molds they seem to have a mold for almost anything, still trying to decide which mold to use for the 909S. I was thinking about something like the #45-200S sized to .456 but without the "Heel"

Once I get my Ranger .45 I know that there will be more options because of all the power that it has.

Butcher45
03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
The Sam Yang is only a temporary Air Rifle until I can get my Ranger .45 from XP Airguns, once I get my Ranger .45 I'll be giving the 909S to my son, but I have no idea how long the back order is on the Ranger .45

One customer just received his XP .38Special......tool two years to get. So you will want to call XP-Airguns to see what the wait time is currently looking like.