PDA

View Full Version : Converting 223wssm to 243wssm

Randy C
03-10-2014, 01:33 AM
I need some 243wssm brass and I have about 125, 223wssm Brass I annealed the top and sized some to 243 It looked ok and worked with my Hornady dies but looked like it rubbed the brass on one side of the neck, on one. should I lube the in and out side of the brass slightly. I guess I should change the way it reads. I did 2 just to see if it would work.
Thanks
Randy C

Randy C
03-10-2014, 01:35 AM
I double checked and there is 135 pieces of brass, 35 have been shot before and some have a few possible little fractures in the neck/shoulder going up and down, I have to use a magnifying glass to see them at this stage I don't think those will make it through the annealing and neck sizing. When annealing should I heat top part of the shoulder along with the neck? I'm using a mini torch I do a couple set them to the side and as soon as they are cool enough to size I lube with Corbin lube and size the neck and case. There still warm. I will take any advice offered. I think I have some 270wsm and 300wsm brass Ill try and convert it over if it will work next. I will have to buy dies to do that.
Thanks
Randy C

Randy C
03-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I need some 243wssm brass and I have about 125, 223wssm Brass I annealed the top and sized some to 243 It looked ok and worked with my Hornady dies but looked like it rubbed the brass on one side of the neck, on one. should I lube the in and out side of the brass slightly. I guess I should change the way it reads. I did 2 just to see if it would work.
Thanks
Randy C
This is what I was told when I check elsewhere for the right way to do this.

in the necking up from 223wsm to 243wsm I would anneal after forming but before firing , a tapered expander and a bit of good case lube should suffice ( imperial sizing wax is da bomb !! ) in cases like this necking up a size is less problematic than necking down , when necking up it tends to thin the neck, when necking down it often thickens the neck and in cases like that they need neck turned ( which should be checked with any reformation project anyways )