PDA

View Full Version : m92 bp clean up?

Desertbuck
03-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey everyone I had an idea on cleanup after black powder in my Rossi 92 and wanted to run it by you to see what you think if my method or methods would be effective at preventing rust.
Instead of tearing the rifle action down entirely for cleaning, would simply removing the stock, wash with boiling hot water and soap, then pouring hot olive oil on the action to vaporize any water that may be hidden in the joints of the workings of the rifle be sufficient enough at preventing rest and removing all of the moisture.
What I have been doing is washing the rifle action with hot boiling water and soap then using the wife's hair dryer to blow dry the action and oiling as normal.
I was thinking about using WD 40 as it was intended, a water displacement.Or am I just being paranoid about the moisture and overthinking it.
To sum it all up what I'm getting at here is I am paranoid about the moisture I cannot see and I also just want to avoid having to tear the rifle action down to clean after a shooting session using black powder.
Tricks and tips would be much appreciated Thanks
Ps just so you know I do know how to clean up after black powder and what is needed to prevent corrosion but as all you know a lever rifle has a lot more to it then a revolver, sharps rifle, or bolt action rifle. More small places for moisture to hide.

bigted
03-10-2014, 12:05 AM
DB ... I will tell my way for cleaning bp outta my levers ... to include a winchester '92' in 45 colt...

I built a rope "pullthru" rod affair for just this purpose. I took parachute cord and a shotgun patch eyelet and combined them for making a eyelet that has a string on it to pull it thru the rifle with wet patch's.

before starting I turn the rifle upside down and stand it in a stainless bowl with a rag in the bottom and squirt down the barrel from the breech end several sprays of my ballistol/water mix. this softens the fouling so the next step is way easy.

now I take this "rope rod" and thread thru the eyelet 2 - 3 inch square patches that are sprayed down with ballistol/water mix in a 20 parts water to 1 part ballistol and double them over on each other as the eyelet is fairly large so to make the patch's work nice n tight this is what it takes in my 45. I pull them thru the fouled barrel from the breech end so as not to push any fouling into the action.

next I take these patch's and turn em inside out for a clean patch and yank it thru the barrel again from the breech end. this usually removes the bulk ... maybe 95 % of all the fouling that is on the inside of the barrel.

now I take my stainless rod and patch jig and clean as I would any other time with butch's bore cleaner or good ol hop's #9. this keeps all the BP fouling out of the action and what very small amounts that get filtered in there are taken care of with my next step.

I spray copious amounts of WD-40 into the action so it drips out all over. cheap insurance I say ... may not need it but I sleep a bit better knowing my investment is protected from rust attracting fouling ... after I get this all wiped down ... I spry my rem oil or a equal preservative oil back into the action so as to hold it and lube it for the next time I want to use it.

I have taken my Ruger Vaquero revolver as well as my Colt revolvers and my Marlin levers apart after a ton of outings to ensure they are clean and not getting ruined on my watch. any rate ... in my disassembly I have found a small bit of black substance that is very slippery and oily and resembles nothing like rust or any rust attracting substance.

another trick I have used is an empty case ...[ideally the last one fired]... left in the chamber and swabbed from the muzzle end with the same patch's and same ballistol/water mix on them. after I get no more darkness on my patch's ... I pull out the case from the chamber and continue with the cleaning as per usual.

hope these suggestions help ease the evil thoughts concerning those nasty crevice's inside a fairly complicated action.

Nobade
03-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Been shooting my B92 with nothing but black powder for years now. Cleanup involves open the action, hold the rifle upside down in the padded vise, run a wet patch in the bore from the muzzle. If fouled a lot run another. Maybe a third for good measure. Dry patch, then one wet with Ballistol. Spray Ballistol in the open action. Wipe down the outside. That's it - done. As long as any fouling in the action is kept wet with oil it is not going to bother anything. Maybe once every two or three years I will tear it all apart and clean everything inside, but it really doesn't seem to matter. Not a bit of rust or any other problem evident when it is stripped.

Now if you use Pyrodex or other corrosive BP subs, all bets are off. Detail strip that puppy, clean everything really well, and do it again at least two more times over the course of the next two weeks before you put it back together. That stuff is evil.

-Nobade

rintinglen
03-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Albuquerque is as dry as prohibitionist's dreams. If you live where it gets moist, you want to clean thoroughly and flush the action heavily with WD-40, then rinse with mineral spirits then oil things up with a good gun oil. I got lazy with a front stuffer a few years back and ended up with some nifty pitting.