PDA

View Full Version : What do they sell for these days ?

Jack Stanley
12-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Found a Marlin 336 RC model that has Ballard rifling in it . Bore and insides look good but , it looks like it was outside most of it's life . You can see where surface rust has been cleaned off and it's missing the plug screws on the top of the reciever . Surprising enough the wood doesn't look bad and could be cleaned up or refinished ( perhaps again) .

This one is a carbine version I believe , shorter barrel and magazine goes to the muzzle . I've got a Marlin with the longer barrel and half magazine so I was gonna take this one to the fun show this weekend with the Browning pump cannon:roll:
Can ya give me an idea of what this carbine is worth ?

Thanks , Jack

Chuck 100 yd
12-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Jack, the RC (regular carbine) with 20"barrel is quite common and with ballard rifling is a good cast shooter. I have 5-6 of them. Your other rifle if 20" with half mag. is a SC (sporting carbine) or if a 24" barrel with short mag. is an ` A ` (336A,) .
Most RC`s and all SC`s and A`s were pistol grip.
They were Ballard rifled from 1948 to 53-54 when the first Micro-groove barrels bagan. If that one is D&T for scope it should have a smooth/sand blasted receiver top. If it has wavey lines on top of the receiver it was D&T after market and that would lower its collector value.
From your description, its just a shooter anyway. If it is complete and shootable it should be worth $200-$250 tops. Enjoy. Chuck

garandsrus
12-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Jack,

What caliber? Also, what gun show are you going to?

Thanks,
John

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2007, 06:18 AM
in that condition 200 tops around here.

Jack Stanley
12-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Chuck , it indeed has the sandblasted top , If I remember right my rifle length has those wavy lines you are talking about . That rifle will really shoot let me tell ya .

John , I'll be at the Mason fair grounds saturday only and the caliber is 30-30 . If you are gonna be there , I'd like to bring another small part for that casting machine . That's if I can remember it , don't drive all that way just for the part though . It's just the double orifice for the pot , I think I remember where I put it :roll:
I guessed the rifle was two hundred dollars of "shooter grade " You guys confirmed that . Thanks everybody !:-D

Jack

Chuck 100 yd
12-25-2007, 04:08 PM
Yes Jack, Those early Marlins can really shoot.
here is my early 336A .30-30 .
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/chuckleininger/IMG_1135.jpg

Have fun!!!