PDA

View Full Version : Strange "Finish" on a '94 Winchester

raingauge
03-09-2014, 04:45 PM
The story. A couple of years ago I went to the Billings Gun Show looking for a Stevens Favorite. While looking around I bought 15 lbs of IMR PB for $75, and found 3 Favorites. One "trader" had a Favorite with a "bunch" on '92 and '94 Winchesters, all in rough condition. Passing on the 25-20 on the 25-35 [hard to do] I finally settled on a rough '93 in 30-30 and an old Favorite. The bore on the Favorite is shot, The 30-30 seems to have a new barrel, junk wood, and made in '97, as in 1897. When I get them home I can't get the '94 to open again. In the process of moving, and with a pile of horses to work, I put them away for a while.
Got moved, got busy, got the job situated so I can work from home ....... finally time to work on the projects
I dig them out, look them over, the Favorite will get a liner, the Winchester, well .......I had intended on having it bored toe 38-55. Doing the youtube thing I dismantled the '94, found the teeny tiny screw just above the loading gate was in too far, backed it out and the action cycles. A little stiff, more of a needs cleaned stiff than a problem stiff. The lifting rail doesn't look worn, the bore looks brand new, I'm thinking it's a newer barrel. The dilemma, there is a couple of patches of JB weld on the left side of the receiver. Yes really! Some peoples kids. Looking inside the action I don't see holes, or cracks, or JB weld coming through.
How do I get this junk of my rifle? Can I burn it off and not warp the receiver?
By the way, it's a SRC
Thanks for the help folks
Lafe

richhodg66
03-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I have no idea, JB Weld is tough stuff, but I'm very interested in hearing other guys' experiences. Never know when you may need to get some off of something.

Sounds like you have a neat rifle there.

oneokie
03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Call JB Weld, they have helpful CS people.

williamwaco
03-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Google is your friend.

http://www.jbweld.com/faqs/

Note that dry ice should break it.

Chev. William
03-09-2014, 08:52 PM
General notes on Epoxy removal:
A long soaking in Methyl Ethel Keytone (MEK) seems to remove the Epoxy from other materials (I used it to dissolve Epoxy potting and laminating resin from Electronics items I needed to see the interior parts of back in the 1980s)
A Soldering Iron with a wide tip will 'over cure' Epoxy and remove it in layers. We used to do that to remove Epoxy 'Conformal coating' to repair electronics circuit boards.)
These processes were done in a Lab environment with fume hoods available.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Pb2au
03-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Duke Nukem ran into a similar problem on a M-14 project he posted some time ago. I believe he soaked the stuff for days in MEK and it let go of its grip. Time and patience will reward you. That and MEK.

raingauge
03-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to get this little project done this year. Your help is greatly appreciated. Ya know, I dont think there is any gun related problem this group couldn't tackle and solve

AlaskanGuy
03-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Boy you got that right.... This group is the "clinton anderson" of gun groups... [smilie=1:

trainfever
03-10-2014, 06:21 PM
If you have access to a heat gun try that. I also build custom golf clubs and the heads are epoxied onto the shafts. Whenever I have to pull a head, I just pull out my heating gun and have at it, it won't take long before the epoxy breaks down, long before you'll do any damage to the gun.