PDA

View Full Version : Clam Shells - The Unknown FLux

John Boy
03-09-2014, 02:33 PM
I read an article that the old, prior to the 20th Century iron Forges & Furnaces in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, used clam shells as a flux! They used the abundant bog iron that was plentiful in the Pine Barrens
Interesting :) I can walk out the door and pick up as many clam shells that I can carry. Will have to give it a try in my lead pot

waksupi
03-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Did they mention that they are poison as hell when there are airborne particles?

runfiverun
03-09-2014, 03:27 PM
or that they used them in iron.
shells are calcium not something I really wanna add to my lead.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Iron ore, coke(refined coal for heat) and limestone is how iron is produced, steel is refined iron plus. Clamshells would substitute for the limestone. Lived in Bethlehem, PA when the steel mills were still alive -1949 -1971 (Bethlehem Steel - once 2nd largest steel producer in the world, bankrupt). Don't know if there are any particular uses for calcium for bullet casting?

John Boy
03-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Did they mention that they are poison as hell when there are airborne particles?
Calcium carbonate - how?
Used as an anti acid, dietary calcium supplement, in tooth paste and fine ground calcium carbonate (GCC) is an essential ingredient in the microporous film used in babies' diapers

fryboy
03-09-2014, 04:37 PM
clamshell ( and other assorted members of the family including abalone ) produces both toxic dust as well as toxic fumes when heated , mild symptoms include a cough,severe headache ,congestion, worse symptoms include death .... the dust is the worst culprit and it doesnt dissolve in ones body ,btw ? lead also can produce toxic fumes , usually we dont heat it that hot but it is possible ( just saying )

FLHTC
03-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Iron ore, coke(refined coal for heat) and limestone is how iron is produced, steel is refined iron plus. Clamshells would substitute for the limestone. Lived in Bethlehem, PA when the steel mills were still alive -1949 -1971 (Bethlehem Steel - once 2nd largest steel producer in the world, bankrupt). Don't know if there are any particular uses for calcium for bullet casting?

Yep, Beth Steel in Sparrows Point even bought a quarry in Pennsylvania specifically for limestone flux but I don't believe that lead smelting will benefit from using it. CaCo3 isn't poisonous

FLHTC
03-09-2014, 06:37 PM
clamshell ( and other assorted members of the family including abalone ) produces both toxic dust as well as toxic fumes when heated , mild symptoms include a cough,severe headache ,congestion, worse symptoms include death .... the dust is the worst culprit and it doesnt dissolve in ones body ,btw ? lead also can produce toxic fumes , usually we dont heat it that hot but it is possible ( just saying )

That's incorrect. Only calcium deposits that have a high silica content are hazardous but pulverized clamshells do not contain silica. No respirable dust is safe to the lungs but calcium is absorbed by the body and doesn't produce conditions such as black lung. Calcium Chloride was once used in Wonder bread and is the most abundant mineral on the planet and is compatible as a filler material. It's the dust on chewing gum, abrasive in tooth paste, its in crackers, plastics, the whitener in paint, the list is endless. Food grade calcium chloride is in more food products that we can even imagine. It makes PVC pipe white, it coats many grades of paper, the computer you're typing on is over 50% calcium chloride.

btroj
03-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Calcium chloride? I think you mean calcium carbonate. Calcium chloride is used as an ice melter but I haven't seen it used in food.

fryboy
03-10-2014, 07:10 AM
i've seen too many links trying to prove or disprove it ... that leaves my own experience as my guide and yes it can cause headaches ( severe) and other assorted maladies including long term health problems ( usually put off on some other cause ) , i've cut and polished several kinds of pearls and abalone ( my fav is kansas pink clamshell - and most the women folks love it as well - extra brownie points ) wear a mask to keep any particles out of your lungs ,stay upwind of the pot ...or not [shrugz]

Cmm_3940
03-10-2014, 07:16 AM
The account I read was that the powder produced from burning seashells on a wood fire was caustic rather than toxic. I can't recall the source. Has anyone else heard of this?

Flaked oyster shells can be purchased in quantity at a feed store as a dietary supplement for poultry.

FLHTC
03-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Calcium chloride? I think you mean calcium carbonate. Calcium chloride is used as an ice melter but I haven't seen it used in food.

correct, my bad.......it's been a long winter

FLHTC
03-10-2014, 12:43 PM
The account I read was that the powder produced from burning seashells on a wood fire was caustic rather than toxic. I can't recall the source. Has anyone else heard of this?

Flaked oyster shells can be purchased in quantity at a feed store as a dietary supplement for poultry.

That process is turning calcium carbonate into lime and yes, it will burn you even if you are sweating and have it on your skin. Burning clam shells won't produce particles any smaller than the ones you're burning. Start out with a 1/4" piece and you'll end up with a 1/4" piece. I spent 13 years in the mining industry and specifically, a limestone quarry.

oldfart1956
03-11-2014, 10:02 PM
Yep, Beth Steel in Sparrows Point even bought a quarry in Pennsylvania specifically for limestone flux but I don't believe that lead smelting will benefit from using it. CaCo3 isn't poisonous Correct my friend. If you Google Map up Williamson, Pa. you can view one of Bethlehems properties, now owned by Valley Quarries. It covers quite a vast area and is rabbit Nirvana. :) If you zoom in...closer...closer...look at the confluence of the Conecaheague Creek and Back Creek and you can actually see my tree stand. :) Audie....the Oldfart..