PDA

View Full Version : Linotype

qkdraw44
03-09-2014, 01:37 PM
In my reloading books some bullets say linotype. Is that pure linotype or a lead linotype alloy?

I am in new york. I am a criminal because my gov. Says i am. I can't be trusted with more than 7 bullets in my 10 rd mag. Who is the criminal? Him or me?

lwknight
03-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Very few applications for pure linotype bullets.
Most cut at least 50/50.

The entire NY gubment is crimnal. They should all be ousted and hanged.

bangerjim
03-09-2014, 02:02 PM
In the "goode golden olden daze", hardness was king. Lino and Lyman #2 were listed for pretty much all loads except roundball BP. Those books were written many years ago and they just do not take the time to change the factors & such to reflect modern knowledge.

Today we know BARREL FIT is king and hardness is not nearly as important. Make sure your boolits are sized/matched to your bore! You want your boolits to be just hard/tough enough to not distort/lead when fired, yet do the job you intended at the end of their journey.

I cast 9-10 for subsonic and ~14 for rifles. Then PC all of them. Never any leading due to the PC......AND.....sizing my slugs to fit the barrels of what I own. Poor fit (and too much hardness) are the main culprits of leading.

Lino is good to sweeten your pure to get the hardness and tin up a bit, but casting pure lino is not really needed today.....unless you "think" your are pushing 5,000+ FPS! [smilie=1:

Everybody needs some. Acquire it when you can. It will become harder to find, now that most linotype processes have been replaced by computer-set type. I have several hundred of pounds of it from those aforementioned "olden golden daze"!

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

qkdraw44
03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Sorry i did not specify handgun or rifle. I load handgun only

John Boy
03-09-2014, 02:21 PM
I have 50# of Linotype and never used any of it
Maybe one day a magic alloy will come to be, so I'll just hang onto it cause it's not eating anything

6mm win lee
03-09-2014, 02:52 PM
In the "goode golden olden daze", hardness was king. Lino and Lyman #2 were listed for pretty much all loads except roundball BP. Those books were written many years ago and they just do not take the time to change the factors & such to reflect modern knowledge.

Today we know BARREL FIT is king and hardness is not nearly as important. Make sure your boolits are sized/matched to your bore! You want your boolits to be just hard/tough enough to not distort/lead when fired, yet do the job you intended at the end of their journey.

I cast 9-10 for subsonic and ~14 for rifles. Then PC all of them. Never any leading due to the PC......AND.....sizing my slugs to fit the barrels of what I own. Poor fit (and too much hardness) are the main culprits of leading.

Lino is good to sweeten your pure to get the hardness and tin up a bit, but casting pure lino is not really needed today.....unless you "think" your are pushing 5,000+ FPS! [smilie=1:

Everybody needs some. Acquire it when you can. It will become harder to find, now that most linotype processes have been replaced by computer-set type. I have several hundred of pounds of it from those aforementioned "olden golden daze"!

bangerjim :guntootsmiley:

I was thinking of having a friend (when I got back from Afghanistan) make me some .244 boolits at 135 grains of linotype. The rifle has a 7.5 twist and I was wanting to get 2450 fps to match some of the original loads. Do you think I am on the right track or am I missing some bit of infomation?

Six

runfiverun
03-09-2014, 03:32 PM
I tried linotype in my 223's at over 2700, I gained more accuracy by cutting the alloy with soft.
I finally got to 4% tin and 6% antimony.
it outshot both ww's plus tin, water dropped, and lino-type.
super hard, high antimony, or unbalanced SbSn alloys don't seem to do the best.

bangerjim
03-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I agree with Run above.

An alloy is probably better. Use your lino to make it, as I do. I have not pushed cast to full rifle speeds. I have a ton of jacketed 223's and I tend to grab those and load towards the max. I keep my cast at slower loads with good success. Those are in the 14-15 hardness range. And PC'd.

Good luck! And be safe.

banger

220swiftfn
03-10-2014, 01:50 AM
For handgun, you're probably best off thinning out the lino with pure. One to one will get you the "hardball" alloy (92,6,2), but I'd go with either 2-3 pounds pure to one pound lino (3/1 gets 96,3,1. 2/1 is 94,4.5,1.5.)

Dan