PDA

View Full Version : UTG Leapers Scope ?

Little Doc
03-09-2014, 01:03 PM
have a pcp that needs a scope. have seen comments that the utg leapers 3x9 ao bug buster compact scope is a good choice. I have a leapers that is the larger scope and the crosshairs and milldots seem to be a little large. does anyone know or have one of these that can comment on the fineness of the crosshairs and milldots. opinions of this scope would be good also.
thanks in advance to all.
m

HARRYMPOPE
03-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I have a 4x bugbuster and the crosshairs are a bit big.the dots are also giant.I still like the scope except its short length make mounting on some guns impractical.

357maximum
03-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Must be a Leapers thing. I got a 3x9 5th gen elite as a gift. I kinda like the scope but the crosshairs are a bit coarse and the short eye relief basically makes it a Ruger10/22 only scope.

Pakprotector
03-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Their etched glass reticles are quite fine, and illuminate quite well. On two of my PCP's I run the 3-12x44 compact SWAT with the etched reticle...it is so far the only one I have ever bought two of...:)
cheers,
Douglas

GT27
03-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Like my 2 UTG's for budget scopes,not a fan of putting more money into the glass, compared to the price of the gun !:popcorn:

slim1836
03-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Gotta 6X24X50 on my Tikka .308. It has held up for 2 years now.

Slim

melloairman
03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
The one I have as well had large crosshairs and dots . But the worst part was the lack of horizontal adjustment . BSA mill dots are my inexpensive go to scope . Natchez has them on sale most of the time . Marvin

xacex
03-09-2014, 11:28 PM
I put a bugbuster on a 50 Beowulf to see if it could take it. Nope... about 170 rounds before it went ghost up on me. But, I do have another one that I use on a blackout. It is not as good as glass as the Nikon, or better yet the Vortex diamondback. Night and day difference, not much more as far as cost, and a lifetime warranty. I will never buy a UTG scope again. Used to like them, but now I have been sending them away.

Little Doc
03-10-2014, 12:09 AM
have a BSA 6-24 on a ss in 223. great scope. think I may choose it for the pcp. sure do like the compact size wise. but want to be able to aim small so will find another than the bug buster. thinking I will go with the bsa. like the side focus also. thanks everyone for the info comments and info.
if ya want a cheep pcp look at the flying dragon pcp. for $100. I got one and it is great for the money. a paint ball at 20yds has no chance. needs a trigger job. but advertised as a tinkers gun. easy to work on and accurate. killed two gophers today that showed up during shooting. have a 4x on the gun and looking for something that will allow focus at different ranges. getting 15 shot per fill from 1600 to 800. emptied my forst tin of premium crossmans today. thanks all for input.
m

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2014, 12:21 AM
B have a 3-9X Bug Buster it is a good looking scope made for Airguns. The crosshairs are a little coarse for my tastes and the illumination is a little heavy also.

I also have a 1-4X Leapers (seen on my R1 here) and that scope has been well worth the $79.95 I paid for it. It did 1500 rounds on my Mini14 and never moved.

The crosshairs are fine and the illumination is subtle but very usable and it doesn't reflect all over the inside of the tube like the Bug buster does. We'll see how it lasts on the R1 which is much crueler to optics than the Mini 14 ever was.

Since airgun distances are typically less than 50 yards I don't see needing more than 4X anyway. You still be good to go out to 100 yards with 4 X.

Point being, the 1-4 Leapers is a better scope.

Randy

Longbow53
04-17-2014, 10:15 PM
If they could put A fine X-hair with dot on the Bugbuster ...would be one hell of a scope.

Faret
04-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Believe it or not I got a 8-32X56 leapers Accushot on my 50 bmg and it is still going!

yoter
04-17-2014, 11:01 PM
The short length and eye relief of the bug buster can make mounting difficult on a full size air rifle. Go with the full size leapers 3-9x40 or consider the Centerpoint 4-16x40. The Centerpoint is a good bargain. I purchased two refurbished Centerpoints from Natchez for around $35 each and they worked well on my RWS 34s.

Bullshop Junior
04-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Ive had several leaders scopes and liked all of them.

backroad
04-19-2014, 05:27 PM
I also have a full size 3x9x 40 leapers ts scope on a rws 34 very impressed with it.Well worth 70 bucks mil dots are a little big but crosshairs are good.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-19-2014, 07:40 AM
I have the Leapers/UTG 3-9X32 New Gen with the IE Mil-Dot Reticle I just bought. The reticle seems almost too thin to me, but it may be my glasses, which need to be replaced badly.

That said, the scope was recommended for my QG78 Deluxe CO2 Air rifle (Think Crosman 160 CO2 air rifle modernized) and I really like it. I just finished sighting it in for .22 caliber pellets and plan to shoot the rifle in my yard as a squirrel eliminator.

The scope was fairly easy to sight in and the multiple colors available for the cross hairs were really nice at low light in the evening. I got some medium airgun/.22 dovetail rings and am pleased with how it mounted and the weight. I also really liked you could adjust the parallax down to 3 yards if need be for a close shot. The rings can be zeroed, have locking rings, but don't have caps so you can adjust windage/elevation if you wish on the fly. Not sure I'll need that for such short distances, but we'll see. Scope came with QD Picatinny/Weaver rings in a medium height I could have used if I added picatinny/weaver rail to my rifle, but I preferred a set of rings that could be loctited into place, as I can't use the iron sights with my aging eyes anyways. I hope to change this with a new pair of glasses, but we'll see.

Only thing I didn't like is the scope needs to be pretty far back on the receiver to get good eye box and this positions the forward bell right in the way for loading pellets into the rifle.

Some have suggested a 40MM vs. the 32MM and some have suggested a lower power is all that's needed. I'm using the higher power with my vision and worn out glasses, more than I would have ten years ago. I think a longer scope might clear the loading port of the rifle better, but the medium rings were plenty high enough unless you added a strap on cheek piece.

Hope this helped,

Dave

DougGuy
05-21-2014, 11:29 PM
I just started using a Leaper's 3-12x44 compact SWAT scope, it has the etched glass reticle with mildots it is really nice. It is a side adjust AO that works well. About $150 with free shipping from Pyramydair. I thought that was too much money at first but now that I am using it and especially at night, it was money very well spent.