PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a great Win 94 gunsmith

Fugowii
03-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Anybody got a recommendation? I'm not looking for a average gunsmith, but a Win94 expert if there is one out there.

TIA

F

27judge
03-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Contact Badgersmith gunworks Inc. in bel air Maryland . I saw a example of his work at the Bel Air gun, show very impressive work tks KEN

TXGunNut
03-09-2014, 02:20 PM
What do you need done? If I had a badly worn Winchester and a pocketful of large bills I'd let Doug Turnbull & Co turn it into eye candy for me. I have no doubt he could do any mechanical repairs needed as well.

Fugowii
03-09-2014, 03:13 PM
What do you need done? If I had a badly worn Winchester and a pocketful of large bills I'd let Doug Turnbull & Co turn it into eye candy for me. I have no doubt he could do any mechanical repairs needed as well.

He doesn't list the '94 as one he works on and at over 3K I probably could replace the one I have with a beauty without sending it to Doug.
Mine is a pedestrian pre64 '94 (if there is such a thing) and I need some mechanical work. I attempted to take it down according to the
directions posted in other areas of this forum and ran into two roadblocks I can't get past. I already buggered up a screw even though
I am using hollow ground blades of the right size and fit. It's just that it won't budge. Either it is rusted in or some bubba put
eternal locktite on it. The other problem I am having is the the trigger assy will not budge from the receiver. The rifle is over 50 years
old and by the looks of it I may be the first to have considered or attempted to clean it. It hasn't been shot a lot but it hasn't been
taken apart for cleaning/lubrication in probably it's entire life. I love the rifle so I don't want to do any damage to it and would rather
have a well experienced expert look it over. The reason I even attempted it was it was sluggish when operating and I was going to do
a cleaning/polishing/lubing to it.

27judge
03-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Maybe a little more detail will be of use to you . I handled 3 rifles worked on by Badgersmith one 336 marlin 1 model 94 and one model 92 .All three had action jobs ,you could flip the lever with one finger it was glass smooth, best trigger pull I ever pulled on a 94,336 92. All three were reblued with after market peep sights or tang sights. I have a real nice flat top 336 in 35 rem and a original 1892 converted to 357 mag ,both are going to him for his action/trigger work . Look him up on the net he has a lot of positive response. Hope this helps tks KEN

FergusonTO35
03-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Williams Gunsight in Michigan does good work on them at reasonable prices. They straightened the cockeyed barrel on my 2003 model, the guy I talked to said they work on them alot. My experiences with people who hold themselves out as gunsmiths around here is that the good ones aren't taking new orders or only do very specialized work. I think from now on I'm going to have Williams do anything that I can't do or don't trust myself to do.

mpbarry1
03-09-2014, 11:20 PM
I know that John Taylor comes highly recommended on here. I haven't needed him yet however. I would drop him a note and ask him about what you want done.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?2728-John-Taylor

TXGunNut
03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Don't forget Goodsteel!