PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 adl 30-06 ss barrel

Bud421
03-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Hey all, I recently picked up a remington 700adl chambered in 30-06. I went ahead and took off the scope and added a bushnell 4.5-30 50mm scope(which I love) and leupold mount/base. problem now is that the gun feels unfinished. I don't mind the stock so haven't thought about upgrading it, but the trigger is a little strong for me. Was looking at getting a timney trigger. Anyone have experience with these? Or think I should get a different trigger? Also I would love to get it a bipod but have no experience buying bipods. Is Harris my best bipod choice? Appreciate any ideas all.

Love Life
03-09-2014, 11:12 AM
I would just adjust the factory to your liking and use the savings for a bipod. Harris makes great bipod. At the end of the day a bipod's sole purpose I life is to hold the end of the gun up when shooting. The harris accomplished that.

Bud421
03-09-2014, 12:34 PM
don't know why I didn't think about just lowering the pounds on the trigger.. Thanks I'll look into that first. Can you still have a sling attached when using the bipod? The site says you can but I don't see where it attaches

Gtek
03-09-2014, 12:52 PM
First thing I would do is flush the trigger group out with a good solvent (acetone) and oil with good stuff. Way too many WD-40 fans out there. Gtek

lefty o
03-09-2014, 03:15 PM
if its the newer xmark/xmark pro trigger, just throw it in the trash, and buy better. the older factory trigger can be adjusted nicely though.

Love Life
03-10-2014, 12:11 AM
I would shoot no less than 500 rds before I changed the trigger.

Just kidding...

Do you have the old style trigger or the new trigger? I love the old style Remington triggers and they can be had for $50.00

CastingFool
03-10-2014, 12:18 AM
You can find instructions online about adjusting the trigger pull on a Rem 700 trigger.

Nobade
03-10-2014, 08:03 AM
if its the newer xmark/xmark pro trigger, just throw it in the trash, and buy better. the older factory trigger can be adjusted nicely though.

That is funny. I do trigger jobs on those new Remington triggers nearly every day, and unless a customer wants it below 2# they are almost always happy with the result. You just have to know how to make them work. For lighter, I go with a Shilen standard trigger which goes 1.5# easy. Lighter than that and it's a Jewell. For two stage a Huber. But I would never recommend a Timney for a Rem 700. Save those for Mausers and other rifles that don't have good factory triggers.

-Nobade

Bud421
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
The guns only 3months old but I've certainly thrown a good 3-400 out of it so far, so I hope that was a joke lol. And I believe it's the x mark pro trigger. I think I'll just lower the trigger to three lbs until I have $ for the Jewell trigger. @gtek I don't think it's because it's dirty the trigger was tight when I first purchased it.

Bud421
03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Also the only gun I've shot with a low trigger pull is my pops .308 with a hair trigger. The trigger has a locking trigger in the back you pull when your ready to shoot the hair trigger. Should I get something like that or stick with a Jewell?

Love Life
03-10-2014, 07:13 PM
The guns only 3months old but I've certainly thrown a good 3-400 out of it so far, so I hope that was a joke lol. And I believe it's the x mark pro trigger. I think I'll just lower the trigger to three lbs until I have $ for the Jewell trigger. @gtek I don't think it's because it's dirty the trigger was tight when I first purchased it.

It was a joke and that is why I put "just kidding". It sounds like your dad's 308 has a double set trigger.

dk17hmr
03-10-2014, 10:11 PM
I have a Timney Flat blade trigger on one of my Rem 700's, SS ADL 30-06 actually. Its ok, I would adjust the factory trigger first to see if you can get it where you want it. Bi-pods can effect the front of the cheap plastic stock Remington uses, just be aware you might need to open the barrel channel up again to clear the barrel because of the new pressure point. Slings attach to the bipod.

Bud421
03-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Dk sorry I'm new to this can you explain that? I don't get what you mean by I might have to open the barrel channel up. Thanks good to know about the slings.

Bud421
03-11-2014, 11:04 AM
As for the trigger I appreciate all the responses, I'm going to try to lower the trigger I have now first.

Love Life
03-11-2014, 11:51 AM
By opening the barrel channel, he means that you may have to actually remove material from the barrel channel. The pressure from the bipod can push the stock up into contact with the barrel.

lefty o
03-12-2014, 12:22 AM
That is funny. I do trigger jobs on those new Remington triggers nearly every day, and unless a customer wants it below 2# they are almost always happy with the result. You just have to know how to make them work. For lighter, I go with a Shilen standard trigger which goes 1.5# easy. Lighter than that and it's a Jewell. For two stage a Huber. But I would never recommend a Timney for a Rem 700. Save those for Mausers and other rifles that don't have good factory triggers.

-Nobade

that may be funny to you, but you can have them all. ive got an xmark pro "adjustable" sitting on my bench that the trigger shoe itself broke, right at the adjustment screw. barely used, not abused, just broke clean off. that thing would make a person real happy on an expensive hunt.

Nobade
03-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Wow, did somebody get excited and try to get it to fire while on safe? Other than people shipping them to me with no trigger guard and UPS breaking the blade off I have never seen one break.

The deal with those new ones that have the screw in the blade is that they have two springs. The normal one in the normal position, and a monster truck spring under the screw in the blade. If you take the blade out, remove that spring, grind down the screw so it can't touch anything, put it back in all the way turned in so it doesn't poke your finger, torch the sear engagement screw to break the thread locker so you can adjust it, put it back together you now can adjust it properly and it's no big deal to make it very nice. The remaining spring is actually just the right rate you would want. You can't change the aftertravel or the safety won't work, but that new safety is better than the old one and really is more safe. Play with them some and learn how they work and I think you will come to like them. I know I didn't at first either but they are fine with me now. And still a whole lot better quality than a Timney or Rifle Basix....

-Nobade

lefty o
03-12-2014, 09:43 AM
no, it wasnt abused. it was the fifth time it was pulled after opening the box. that cheap azzed remington trigger shoe is MIM, and to be honest i never had an issue with MIM parts before that, but not now. to be honest, i hate them both but if i had to choose between the xmark and xmark pro, i'd take the older xmark. at least the older xmark doesnt have a hole in the trigger shoe weakening it, and rubbing your finger raw after a long day on a prarie dog town.

Nobade
03-12-2014, 07:51 PM
no, it wasnt abused. it was the fifth time it was pulled after opening the box. that cheap azzed remington trigger shoe is MIM, and to be honest i never had an issue with MIM parts before that, but not now. to be honest, i hate them both but if i had to choose between the xmark and xmark pro, i'd take the older xmark. at least the older xmark doesnt have a hole in the trigger shoe weakening it, and rubbing your finger raw after a long day on a prarie dog town.

See post above - takes care of that problem. I would also send it back to Remington for a free repair. They will even send you a call tag if you ask nicely so you won't have to pay for the postage.

-Nobade

lefty o
03-12-2014, 09:14 PM
remington wasn't interested in their flawed trigger when i told them about it, but thats okay as i replaced it with a much better item. if you like remingturds triggers, thats fine but dont waste your time trying to sell me on them.

Nobade
03-12-2014, 09:30 PM
You got it! No worries.

-Nobade

Bud421
03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Sorry forgot to get back to everyone, thanks for all the responses. Only question now is, do I channel the barrel before mounting the bipod or do I just keep an eye on the stock to see if it starts touching the barrel?

Love Life
03-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Put a little dye on the barrel where it will ride over the bipod. Mount the bipod and then load the bipod. If there is any dye transfer then you will need to remove material. A pipe with sandpaper is an easy way to do it.

Bud421
03-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Thank you, really appreciate all the info. I'll get back to you guys in a little while once the bipod and swivel mount arrives

Love Life
03-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Just to clarify things here. If your barrel is contacting the stock due to the upwards bipod pressure, shoot the rifle 1st to make sure it is actually an issue. Some barrels like a little pressure on them, and some don't. If you end up with a bunch of uncalled fliers then make sure everything is torqued down correctly. Still have fliers? Then start removing material from the barrel channel. Go slow and remove a little material at a time.

Also, if you have not shot from a bipod before you can expect your groups to open up. Look on youtube for videos on loading a bipod. What I do is pull the buttstock back and up into my shoulder pocket. Then I relax my body weight forward and down. This loads the bipod well and allows for shooting wall hangers.

Bud421
03-20-2014, 09:55 PM
I get what your saying about loading the bipod, I'll look more into that. And alright I'll just keep an eye on the grouping(once I get used to the bipod of course) and make sure It stays tight. If it changes I'll know it probably needs channeling

yoter
03-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Back to the bipod.. Harris is the best. There is a sling swivel stud attachment.

Love Life
03-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I like Harris. At the end of the day all the bipod is there for is to hold your rifle up. Put your non firing hand under the buttstock at your shoulder.