PDA

View Full Version : How to create a modest .480 Ruger load?

Naphtali
12-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Please identify [for SRH] .480 Ruger loads that approximate: 480/325/750-900 fps, using hard cast plain-base bullet.

I have Lil 'Gun and H110. I am nearly certain that these powders are not usable for such a modest load.

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2007, 04:46 PM
youll need a faster powder. 9 grains of unique, power pistol. universal clays or herco will get you in the ball park.

NSP64
12-23-2007, 05:06 PM
should he use a filler? thats a big case for a small charge.

Rafe Covington
12-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I use lil gun in my encore 480 barrel. It works great with the 400 gr Speer bullet. As soon as I can get a 5 shot SRH I will use it in that. Just my 2 cents worth.:drinks:

freedom475
12-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Lil'gun is a great powder but it is not going to be very modest. H110 also works well but is for full power only! (can't be reduced)

Tite Group is my favorite for modest loads. But Trail Boss will also give you a very nice "light" load. These two powders are not position or temperature sensitive, so no filler is ever needed.

Naphtali
12-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Tite Group is my favorite for modest loads. But Trail Boss will also give you a very nice "light" load. These two powders are not position or temperature sensitive, so no filler is every needed.I use only magnum primers. What range of weights for these, and other satisfactory powders, to keep loads between 750 and 900 fps with 325-grain cast bullet?

Glen
12-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Go visit the Alliant site:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/newCalibers/480_Ruger.htm

They show that 10.0 grains of Unique will push a 325 grain jacketed bullet at 991 fps. So it looks like Lloyd's advice above is right on the mark. When using Unique and cast bullets, just reduce the charge until you hit your desired velocity (750-900 fps; don't drop below 500 fps or you might stick a bullet). Do not use any kind of filler with Unique. Magnum primers are certainly not needed with Unique, but can be used if that's all you've got.

Naphtali
12-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Go visit the Alliant site. . . .
They show that 10.0 grains of Unique will push a 325 grain jacketed bullet at 991 fps. So it looks like Lloyd's advice above is right on the mark. When using Unique and cast bullets, just reduce the charge until you hit your desired velocity (750-900 fps; don't drop below 500 fps or you might stick a bullet). Do not use any kind of filler with Unique. Magnum primers are certainly not needed with Unique, but can be used if that's all you've got.I visited the web site and read that 10.0 grains of Unique is listed as the minimum 325-grain bullet's charge. How significant is Mr. Smale's recommendation of 9 grains? What I think I mean is that small charges of H110 might transform the SRH into a grenade. Does a similar caveat occur with Unique, or Tite Group, or Trail Gun?

Since no responder has mentioned it, may I safely assume that there will be no pressure problems associated with substituting hard-cast plain base bullets for a jacketed bullet of identical weight?

I made a large purchase of magnum primers to standardize handloads as best I could. Since I'm finding "hunting" loads not as pleasant to shoot as my first 30 shots with the .480, I'll create a modest handload for recreation. But I'll try to keep my inventory of fixin's down; hence magnum primers where they are not needed.

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2007, 03:56 PM
glens advice is right on the mark all the way.
Go visit the Alliant site:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/newCalibers/480_Ruger.htm

They show that 10.0 grains of Unique will push a 325 grain jacketed bullet at 991 fps. So it looks like Lloyd's advice above is right on the mark. When using Unique and cast bullets, just reduce the charge until you hit your desired velocity (750-900 fps; don't drop below 500 fps or you might stick a bullet). Do not use any kind of filler with Unique. Magnum primers are certainly not needed with Unique, but can be used if that's all you've got.

Glen
12-25-2007, 12:16 AM
When comparing jacketed and cast bullets of the same weight, cast bullets will generally generate lower pressures (due to the lower engraving energy and higher lubricity of lead alloys), and generally about 100 fps higher velocities (due to the reduced frictional drag and lubricant).

Reducing loads of H110 is not advised because its ignition properties become very erratic at low loading densities (misfires and hangfires become very common at low pressures). Unique is a flake powder with a high nitroglycerine content that lights very easily and uniformly across a range of pressures and velocities (which is why it's so popular as a pistol powder). The loads you're talking about assembling are probably operating in the 15,000 psi range and Unique is very much at home in the pressure regime. H110 is not.

Naphtali
12-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Okay. So to achieve my "modest load," while maintaining as uniform an inventory as I can, the consensus is to use Unique, with starting load of 9.0 grains? And, in the absence of testing, I should expect between 875 and 925 fps from 9.0 grains of Unique in 7.5-inch barrelled SRH?