PDA

View Full Version : I think I need filler-Unique/.38-55

samwithacolt
03-08-2014, 08:28 PM
So I had been loading my .38-55 with 11 gr Unique, no filler. Did'nt think it mattered with Unique. Today was the first warmer day, so I broke out the Winchester and headed for the range. My shots were stringing up and down as usual. Just on a whim, I started pointing the rifle up after chambering each round and brininging it doen slowly to fire.
My groups stopped stringing right away. Looking forward to trying the same load, but with the space taken up with Dacron. Did I imagine this, or will a filler make a difference with Unique?

runfiverun
03-09-2014, 01:12 AM
it can.
your vertical stringing is a sure sign you need it.
you are getting inconsistent velocity's [probably caused by inconsistent ignition]

if you search back to about 09 or so littlegirl and myself done a write-up on fillers and velocity variations.
we used three different rifles with different barrel lengths in the same caliber on the same day over the chrono.
we shared the same 2 lots of ammo between them to show how it worked
as well as the vertically strung and un-strung targets.
you'll want to drop the load back about 1/2gr and start from there.

TXGunNut
03-09-2014, 02:34 AM
Or try a powder that isn't position-sensitive. 2400 doesn't seem to be, wasn't aware Unique was but I generally use Universal instead of Unique.

Larry Gibson
03-10-2014, 06:34 PM
So I had been loading my .38-55 with 11 gr Unique, no filler. Did'nt think it mattered with Unique. Today was the first warmer day, so I broke out the Winchester and headed for the range. My shots were stringing up and down as usual. Just on a whim, I started pointing the rifle up after chambering each round and brininging it doen slowly to fire. My groups stopped stringing right away. Looking forward to trying the same load, but with the space taken up with Dacron. Did I imagine this, or will a filler make a difference with Unique?

Don't anyone tell frank you did that.....he'll have a conniption........[smilie=l:

Larry Gibson

Seriously though I usually don't recommend a Dacron filler with a quick burner like Unique. I instead recommend upping the charge until the psi is consistent enough to limit powder positioning. If such a light load is wanted I also recommend using a faster and more readily ignitable powder such as Bullseye. Would help to have the complete load info though?

.22-10-45
03-11-2014, 01:56 AM
May I ask why your using so fast a powder? In my original #4 barreled Winchester High-Wall, I am shooting 1" and sometimes slightly under groups at 100yds. using either H or IMR 4227.

Larry Gibson
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
The use of the faster powder (especially with light weight for cartridge cast bullets) for lower end loads eliminates "powder position sensitivity" for the most part because it ignites and burns efficiently with such reduced loads. I most often use Bullseye powder for such applications. Unique works well in some applications.

For example; I use 8 gr of Bullseye in my 45-70 under a 270 gr cast bullet for 1050 fps out of my TDs. No need for any wad or filler with that load. BTW; I have pressure tested that load and it is entirely safe and well below the SAAMI MAP for the 45-70.

Larry Gibson

samwithacolt
03-11-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm using a 260 gr lee boolit, from SOWW. I had the rifle in the trunk today when I read the newer posts here, so I went to the range after work and let loose 6 rounds at 11 gr Unique with filler. Got about 4" at 100 yds with no stringing.
What else should I be using for powder, apart from Black, in this gun which is not marked for smokeless? The bore in front of the chamber is pretty bad.

Larry Gibson
03-11-2014, 10:57 PM
You just might be pushing that bullet cast of SOWWs (straight?) a bit too hard with 11 gr Unique + the Dacron filler. Start with 8 gr using the Dacron filler and work up to 10 gr; 1/2 gr increments should tell you the story.

You might also add 5% tin to the SOWWs for a 20-1 alloy. That will harden the bullets and may work a lot better with Unique.

If you add the tin then you may also find 2400, 4227, 4759 or 5744 to be suitable powders.

I also suggest switching to Bullseye if you just want an accurate low end load. Start at 4 gr and work up slowly until accuracy goes south again. No filler needed with Bullseye. Accuracy will come, if it's going to, in the 800 - 1000 fps range.

Larry Gibson

samwithacolt
03-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Thanks Larry. I don't have Bullseye, it can't be found, but I do have 2400. I'm using straight SOWW, as the bore is bad and my first boolits tumbled when cast from COWW. I tried 2400 without success, but I can't remember what the load was(I might have it written inside one of the cartridge boxes).
I want to get 12-1300 fps if I can, and minute of deer to 100-200yds. I shot 2 deer last fall at around 100 with the 11 gr unique load, but I always want more!